Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I searched the Internet and found a type of cancer is similar

I searched the Internet and found a type of cancer is similar to my symptom:

Hodgkin's lymphoma. The nodes of the neck are most frequently involved (80–90% of the time, on average). I do have a red lump on my left side of neck (I told you in my first question yesterday), and the doctor in hospital said it is normal for a person who has high fever.

The Canadian hospital won’t do a whole body scan for possible cancer. How to check if I have Hodgkin's lymphoma, and how can I persuade the doctor to check?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.

Susan Ivy :

Hello there.

Susan Ivy :

Lymph nodes are part of the immunity and it is normal for them to enlarge when your system is fighting an infection.

Susan Ivy :

If you had lymphoma, it would show up in a regular CBC blood test (the initial signs would be there)

Susan Ivy :

What other symptoms do you have?

Susan Ivy :

I am wondering if you see my reply. I am in chat mode, is that what you prefer?

Susan Ivy :

I will switch to Q&A, since I see your last question was in that form.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
I hope you can see my reply above.

How long have you had the swollen lymph node?

How does it feel, is it soft or hard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I started headache few days ago. Yesterday my headache was the strongest; then I measured my temperature was 37.9 to 38.4

A week ago, I found a hard lump on left neck, sore when touch.

No other symptoms at all.

Last night I went to the Ottawa Queensway Carleton Hospital. The doctor hooked me up with saline, checked my urine, blood, x-ray of chest, scanned brain to see any possible bleeding. The result is “no bacteria”, so no need for anti-biotic.

The doctor said it was a virus, “can be any virus, there are too many (hundreds) of virus to test, we don’t test for it at all, and there is nothing you can do for it, that’s why we don’t test for it.”

She let me took 3 tablets of Tylenol and the fever was gone within few hours. She said the fever could take up to 72 hours.

Today I rest at home, my body temperature was 37.2 to 37.3 degree, without Tylenol.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Usually an enlarged lymph node will resolve within a few weeks. They become enlarged as the lymphocytes fight an infection. Often we do not notice they are enlarged, because only in certain area's of the body, such as the groin, neck, and arm pit are they near the skin surface. If the lymph gland is painful or sore, use of a warm pack can help. This can help it resolve by bring in in good circulation as well sometimes. It is also important not to manipulate the lymph node excessively (not that you would, but since I have asked for you to feel whether it is hard or soft... I don't want to encourage you to worry too much about it and end up disturbing it)
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Not too sound redundant, but these things do help when the body is fighting an infection:

Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids (water, dilute juices, tea) and eat healthy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you are sure my neck lump is not the cause of my high fever, and my neck lump is not a cancer.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
How big is the lymph node, and is it soft or hard, or is their any other way you would describe it? Is the lymph node red? Sometimes the lymph nodes themselves can get inflammed... and so if it does not resolve and the infection continues, you may require antibiotics. So it is important to watch it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

size of my thumb fingernail, it is hard lump. Sore when touch. The hospital checked my urine and blood last night and the doctor say they were normal, no need for anti-biotic.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.

A firm lymph node could still be normal - it may be due to being filled with lymph material. If it is not movable or attached to the tissue beneath it, would be abnormal.

The normal size of lymph node is 'pea' size, but they enlarge when they are activated due to the immune system.

Signs of cancer would be if the lymph node was hardened or became fixed (attached to the tissues beneath it). Other signs of cancer are significant unexplained weight loss, night sweats, fatigue, and of course abnormal complete blood count test.

If the lymph node does not resolve in several weeks, or if it changes in nature, then a biopsy of the lymph node may be indicated. Again, don't manipulate the lymph node, because if it is infected, you could possibly spread the infection to the surrounding tissues (rare, but possible)
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Feel free to reply with any of your concerns. I have to go away from the computer now for a little bit, but am usually able to check back every hour or so, so if you do write me back and I don't get back to you immediately from here out, I will get back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible a type of common cold virus?

The Tylenol will cure headache and fever, but not virus. Does taking Tylenol reduce my ability to build immune system and cure the virus?

So the only way to kill virus is rest at home, drink more water?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback.

Yes, Tylenol will relieve head ache and fever, but there is still no known medication that will destroy the common cold virus. (Viruses are very difficult to destroy as they change so quickly... thus the difficult with other viral infections and treating them). But, we do know that the immune system is able to fight off infections. In order to fight off the infections, 'fuel' is needed (coenzymes, vitamins, nutrients, protein). The reason rest is helpful is because this allows the immune system to focus energy on building the immune cells/killing the virus.. This is one reason stress/lack of sleep, poor nutrition is associated with catching colds and other illnesses. Water is helpful because we are around 60% water. The fluid in our system works as the conduit for the lymphatic and circulatory system, among other things. Also, fever causes evaporation of body fluid, so more is needed for that reason as well.

Some believe that it may decrease the ability of the immune system to fight infections (viral and bacterial) if the temperature is suppressed too much by taking antipyretics (Tylenol, aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc.) It is theorized that the increase in temperature is one aspect of the immune defense that assist with killing the invading organisms. But we also know that moderate to small amounts of Tylenol and other anitpyretics don't seem to delay recovery. More research is needed in this area. What I take from this and would recommend, is to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen, etc. as needed for discomfort. In other words, if you have a headache that is not relieved by rest and/or sleep (sleep is a known headache relief measure - on the other hand one can go to the extreme and sleep too much which can actually cause headaches too)

Hope this helps. I'm always happy to answer your questions, even if I don't get back to you immediately every single time, I take all questions seriously.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS