Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

my back was hurting so i decided to go to the chiropractic

my back was hurting so i decided to go to the chiropractic for the first time, i have been dealing with back problems but after the first treatment that he placed me on one of those machines that you lay down flat and stretches you out, after that day it seems like something is wrong with my hips or something my left leg feels hard and higher than the other one, and if I walk starts hurting so i have to stop , if I walk to much starts hurting me, chiropractor took xrays of my back and says i have scliorosis and needs to start a treatment asap , please help i havin't gone back ever since i'm in need of an advice is he doing something wrong? is there anywhere else i could go other than a chiropractor?I left the place with back and now hips i don't know who to trust.

There are few other things which can be done for your symptoms. The chiropractor manipulation may have strained the back muscles / sprained ligaments. There may be a possibility of pinched nerves with your symptoms, after the chiropractor treatment.

Following comprehensive measures would be helpful for the present symptoms;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays / ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by physical therapist. Other thing are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Good supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or over weight, reduce weight for long term benefit.

9) Epidural steroid shots

10) Acupuncture

You can start the following exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed / couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one sets of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

You can consult following specialists (apart from your GP);

a) Orthopedist

b) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to bother you again doctor, but should I fallow up with the chiropractor? , is that a step I should be taking even though I can't even walk ? because my back still not ok or i should wait for my leg to heal?

I am sorry for the delay in reply. I had an emergency patient to see. I apologize for your wait.

Following up with chiropractor is not advised in your case. Consult your GP and seek a referral for MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to bother you again doctor, but should I fallow up with the chiropractor? , is that a step I should be taking even though I can't even walk ? because my back still not ok or iI should wait for my leg to heal?and I thing I do have a pinched nerve on my back because I feel like if someone was pushing with there fingers against myback also when my back posture is wrong the pain increases, this happened a day that I went to the beach and laid on the sand with no towel that's how everything started off, but please let me know if I should follow up with chiropractor thank you, XXXXX XXXXX same message but couldn't finish it,,,,,,,,,have a great night doctor i was really worried and didnt know where to go ,im going to give you a great rating thank you.

You are very welcome.

Your symptoms are suggestive of the pinched nerves. It seems that my second answer was not visible to you. There is a technical problem with the site and this happens occasionally.

You do not need to follow up with the chiropractor.

Please do not worry. This is likely to heal in a week or so. Take Ibuprofen twice or thrice a day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
chiropractor took x rays and says I have a spine misaligment can this problem be fixed with his treatment also he said would take about 4 months

The conservative treatment, I mentioned can treat the misalignment. Physical therapy resolve the misalignment of the spine. Physical therapist can consider spinal traction also if necessary.

Dr. Arun