Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have one white spot on the tip of my Uvula. I do not have

Customer Question

I have one white spot on the tip of my Uvula. I do not have a sore throat, but I do have some mild post nasal due to allergies.
I tried to wipe it with a q-tip but it did not come off.
Should I just start rinsing w/salt water?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

I am myself an ENT doctor so can help you.

DR HASAN :

Since how long you have this?

DR HASAN :

Do you have pain at that site?

Customer:

I just noticed this while I was flossing my teeth..I don't think it was there yesterday.

Customer:

There is no pain at the site

DR HASAN :

ok

DR HASAN :

Do you have any swollen node in neck?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Do you have sinus symptoms?

Customer:

I have mild post nasal glopiness (spelling), due to the weather

DR HASAN :

Are you taking anything for that?

DR HASAN :

Do you have nasal obstruction?

DR HASAN :

Have you had a recent fever or a course of antibiotics?

DR HASAN :

Any diagnosed medical problem?

Customer:

no..I did just purchase some OCEAN to use to keep my nasal passage moist. I don't find it bothersome.

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer:

I have low Vitamin D and Iron..and I have IBS

Customer:

I do not take any medications

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

As per symptoms this is most likely to be an apthous ulcer.

DR HASAN :

The second possibility is that of a viral infection resulting in this spot.

Customer:

what the heck is that?

DR HASAN :

Are you asking about apthous ulcer?

Customer:

Yes.I am allergic to many medication including

Customer:

antibiotics. Is there a natural way to get rid of this?

DR HASAN :

Apthous ulcer is a form of oral ulcer, its usually painful but can be pain less in some people.

DR HASAN :

The cause behind this mainly is the low immunity.

DR HASAN :

same low immunity can be responsible for the viral infection.

DR HASAN :

You just need to keep an eye on it.

DR HASAN :

There is no need to do salt water gargles.

DR HASAN :

You should use an OTC mouth wash that contains antiseptic and anti inflammatory.

DR HASAN :

for sinus symptoms you can take OTC Tab Claritin once daily.

Customer:

I have ulcerative colitis (I'm in remission). Could it be from having a auto-immune disease?

DR HASAN :

Steam inhalation with menthol drops is very effective too.

Customer:

Is there a specific mouth wash you prefer?

DR HASAN :

No not really.

DR HASAN :

Not necessary. you can buy any from your pharmacy.

DR HASAN :

In short there is nothing to worry for sure.

Customer:

what about apple cider vinegar? I'm all about using organic natural items instead of medication

DR HASAN :

You can use listerine mouth wash .

DR HASAN :

Yes thats very good but will specifically not address this white spot.

Customer:

well that's a relief....what do I need to keep an eye out for?

DR HASAN :

Yes i assure you.

DR HASAN :

and i would really recommend a mouth wash too.

Customer:

one other question...will yogurt help at all?

DR HASAN :

Not specifically with ulcer.

DR HASAN :

I would recommend that you should avoid that while you are having sinus symptoms.

Customer:

okay. when, if all do I need to be concerned? to see my GP?

DR HASAN :

because milk and dairy products increases the mucous production in respiratory tract.

DR HASAN :

Yes if it remains there for more than two weeks, then see your GP.

DR HASAN :

But i assure you that its not indicative of anything dangerous.

Customer:

Phew!!! It seems the older I get the more things start going weird in my body! you never know what is going on!..you have been very helpful

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome. and you are still young so just stay cool :)

DR HASAN :

I hope this helps you, if you have any question, please feel free to ask, your excellent feedback will be appreciated. I wish that you get well soon, regards.

Customer:

LOL..now that's funny considering I have started getting hot flashes every now and again :)

DR HASAN :

I can understand your concern.

Customer:

thank you so much for your advise

DR HASAN :

But this white spot is not dangerous, i daily examine more than 30 oral cavities so i know what i am talking about.

DR HASAN :

You are welcome.

DR HASAN :

Do you have any question?

Customer:

about this situation...no. I believe you have covered it quite well.

DR HASAN :

yes anything.

DR HASAN :

If you are satisfied with our chat, please send an excellent feedback.

Customer:

I certainly will.

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot.

DR HASAN :

Goodbye

Customer:

BYE!

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alisha, how are you feeling now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
perfect..the spot went away and I didn't have to do a thing..never once was it sore...thank you for easing my mind
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome, i am really glad to know that. I wish you all the best for your health and future, whenever you have any question, please get back to me on this page, you will always find me here. Regards.