Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I have a pressure feeling in my upper left arm and muscle weakness,

I have a pressure feeling in my upper left arm and muscle weakness, also feels like there is a band along my lower wrist area. This all seem to start when I started taking a blood pressure medication. Who would I see for these symptoms?
hi. It sounds like you have been worked-up for heart related problems. What medication are you thinking may have caused this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

I'm sorry you did not get an answer to your question earlier. Do you still need assistance with this question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They have changed my medication once again; but still feel terrible. I am now taking Labetalol, no appetite, head itching and mild headache. Doctor said I had to get my blood pressure down or I would be on Dialysis. It's scary! But feel so bad on everything they have tried me on. Not sure what to do anymore, I certainly do not feel like myself with all of these side effects.

Hello, and thank you for your response.

In answer to your first question: the appropriate follow-up for any side effects or new symptoms you may experience with new medications is to see your prescribing physician. Hypertension in the long-term can be a devastating disorder, as I am sure your physician has told you. So treatment, and this will most likely be lifelong treatment, is vital. Unfortunately, almost any medication you take will have some side effects, at least at first. Having been treated for hypertension myself for many years, I know that usually these side effects are temporary.

When you are first diagnosed with hypertension, you may need to try some different medications until you and your doctor determine the best course of treatment. This may be a bit distressful at first, but your body will become adjusted and you will feel much better with some time as your heart rate and blood pressure normalize.

Keep working with your physician. If the side effects of the medication do not gradually dissipate, or they become worse.....discuss this with your physician.

While you are monitoring your response to your medications, and your blood pressure and heart rate (at least twice a day until your blood pressure is under control), there are some other things you can do to help yourself.

You may already know this and be doing these things, but just in case I will give you this information anyway.

The DASH diet can be very helpful in helping your bring down your blood pressure along with your medications. Here is a link to the information about this diet: DASH diet

There is much information about this diet online if you need it. There are also books you can purchase with information and recipes.

In general, you want to drastically lower sodium intake to no more than 1500mg per day, and increase potassium by eating mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. Lean meat, legumes, whole grains and nonfat milk also have the minerals necessary to help normalize your blood pressure.

Dietary changes can be very instrumental in treating high blood pressure, but do not stop taking your medications. Always discuss medication changes with your physician first. You might ask for a nutritional consult to help you set up a diet specifically for your body's particular needs.

Mild exercise can also help you feel better, and in the long run can improve your blood pressure as well. But you should discuss this with your physician before proceeding with drastic changes in your activity level. Walking is good to start with if you are not used to exercise.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in regards XXXXX XXXXX problem.
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management