Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I am on vacation in San Juan, PR. Will a local CVS renew my

I am on vacation in San Juan, PR. Will a local CVS renew my Vicodin Rx? If not, can anyone Recommend a physician in the Isla Verde area to get an Rx here? It is for extremely painful retrocalcaneal bursitis.
Hello RusselWilson,

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Even though you were not asking for an online prescription, I do want you to be aware that no valid or ethical health care provider would prescribe over the Internet; it is quite illegal, especially for narcotics like Vicodin. Just Answer is an educational/ information based only site.

The CVS in Puerto Rico will not be able to give you a renewal as that would have to be a prescription from a health care provider. Some CVS's do have urgent care clinics staffed by Nurse Practitioners; if the CVS by you has one such, you may be able to get a prescription there, if nurse practitioners in PR have narcotic prescriptive authority.

However, I was able to find a hospital that seems to be close to your location. They have an Emergency Room, and a doctor/ provider there may be able to assist you. It is Ashford Presbyterian Community hospital, here is their webpage:

Here is a link of doctors and clinics in Puerto Rico, arranged by may find someone in one of the close by surrounding towns who can help you:

Lastly, here is a link from the Dept of Health and Human Services regarding clinics in Puerto Rico: If that doesn't load, here is the main page:

You can also try asking at the front desk of the hotel in which you are staying. They may be able to suggest a doctor or clinic that would help you.

I hope I was able to help, and that you feel better soon,