Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have a bump on the top of my head it has been there for around

I have a bump on the top of my head it has been there for around five years it has caused some bad headaches in the past but recently it has been getting bigger. when I press on it it instantly gives me a headache. It was hard but a defined bump it feels like the newer bump on top of the origonal bump is softer. I live in florida and have no insurance any idea what this could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Is it hard or soft?

Customer:

it has always felt hard but it feels like what is now getting bigger is softer

Customer:

that is now growing

Customer:

are you there?

Dr Brims :

yes

Dr Brims :

I thought you were still typing

Customer:

no

Dr Brims :

Is there any redness?

Customer:

its underneath my hair I haven't seen any redness

Dr Brims :

Okay, it may be a sebaceous cyst, if it is becoming painful there is a chance it has become infected

Customer:

and could this cyst cause headaches

Dr Brims :

Yes, it could cause tension headaches

Customer:

what can I do to have it looked at? and do you have any suggestions what to do on my own to reduce it

Customer:

it also makes me a little nausous when I press on it

Dr Brims :

You would have to have a doctor examine it, you can't do anything to it, you may make it worse

Customer:

I don't even like to touch it. It freaks me out cause its uncomfortable.

but when I do it makes me nausous

Customer:

what are symptoms of a cyst

Dr Brims :

A cyst will cause swelling

Customer:

How would I know if its infected? What are symptoms of a cyst on the top of the head? Are they commom? What causes them? Do they get bigger and smaller?

Dr Brims :

If it is becoming painful or red it may be infected, a cyst may cause swelling, and pain, they are common, and they may get bigger

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

the pain is more from the inside of my head , like my brain, not the actual bump the actual bump the physical skin doesn't hurt at all. A sebaceous cyst is a cyst on the outside of the skin??? Correct??? Cause this is on the inside of my head.

Dr Brims :

A sebaceous cyst is inside the skin

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

I feel I am getting one word answers thanks but I read prevoius information on this site and it sounds I am getting the same advice

Dr Brims :

Sorry,please try be clear about what questions on this topic you would like me to answer

Dr Brims :

I have told you the most likely cause, but nobody can tell you what the exact cause is without examining you

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

There is no redness just headaches and some nausia when I push lightly on it.

Customer:

What causes them?

Customer:

What makes you think thats what it is?

Dr Brims :

Blocked sebaceous glands usually cause them

Dr Brims :

That is a common location and one of the most common causes of lumps and bumps in that area

Customer:

Thank you that was informative

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

it reminds me of a boil without any external opening? why in that area is is common?

Customer:

and I say boil only cause of your discription of a cyst

Dr Brims :

Because they are also caused by swollen hair follicles, so they arise in areas with hair

Customer:

If this is what I have how can they be prevented?

Dr Brims :

You may try to place a heating pad over it for 15 minutes twice a day

Dr Brims :

for 10 days

Customer:

Years ago a friend of mine with whom was a doctor felt it and said it felt like a solid mass on the bone and I should get a ct scan but never followed through.

Customer:

I am following up now cause the headaches are getting worse

Dr Brims :

If it is hard like bone it may be an osteoma, which is a bone growth

Customer:

why are sebaceous cyst caused?

Dr Brims :

From blocked sebaceous glands or swollen hair follicles

Customer:

was I correct to compare it to a boil but underneath the skin? I am a very clean person how can this be prevented it seems its from not cleaning yourself? As boils are formed

Dr Brims :

There is no known way to prevent them from forming

Customer:

so are they similar to a boil underneath the skin

Dr Brims :

yes, they may feel like that

Dr Brims :

But they are not always infected and filled with pus

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

the symptom of a sebaceous cyst would be the actual area hurting similar to a boil

Dr Brims :

If it becomes infected yes

Customer:

but not the actual brain hurting??? the cyst area causes me no discomfort it what it is pressing on

inside my head

Dr Brims :

Then it may be compressing a nerve

Customer:

is it common for them to grow? smaller to larger and back? As they get infected or NOT?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is common

Customer:

the thing is its really pretty hard

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

and its the size of a nickel

Dr Brims :

Ok, I'm not really sure what you are asking in your last reply

Customer:

I would think if its a cyst it would be soft

Dr Brims :

It may be hard or soft

Dr Brims :

And I said if it is hard like bone it may be a bone growth like an osteoma

Customer:

what is an Osteoma? Bone Growth?

Dr Brims :

It is a bone growth

Dr Brims :

The cause is unknown, and it would require a CT scan or MRI to diagnose

Customer:

Are sebaceous cysts harmless?

Dr Brims :

Yes, they are harmless

Customer:

Ok well hopefully thats all is. Thanks for your time

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience