Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have been experiencing extreme lethargy and fatigue for years.

I have been experiencing extreme lethargy and fatigue for years. I just had a full lab work-up including a thyroid test and everything came back fine. I wake up in the morning feeling just as tired as when I went to bed and I never have any energy. What are some possible causes for this and what is the next step? I eat healthy, exercise, drink plenty of water and try to get 8 hours of sleep a night.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
What kind of doctor are you visiting for this? How is your sleep quality? Do you wake up multiple times at night? Have you undergone any sleep testing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am seeing a family practice doctor. Once he reviewed my labs he became disinterested with helping me further. My sleep quality varies. Sometimes it is difficult to fall asleep and I lose many hours. Even when my sleep quality is at its best I wake up at least two times a night.
I am sorry to hear about your ongoing symptoms.
Based on your description, it seems like you have been suffering from these symptoms for a while. Moreover, all your physical examinations and test reports were normal. I think this is the time consider specialist visit for a proper management. Considering your history off and on sleep issues and repeated awakening at night,,, your ongoing tiredness could be related a sleep problem. Some other possibilities for tiredness would be stress, depression, hormonal imbalance etc. The best way to approach in this case would be to visit a sleep specialist, then an endocrinologist. If nothing is found, then at last a psychiatrist/counselor. These follow-up will be beneficial to pinpoint the cause of your tiredness.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.