Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

In the morning my body temperature is 96.6. Is it alright?

Is a oral temperature of 96.6 anything to be worried about? Mine usually is 97.1 until the evening and the last several months it's been 96.6 alot in the morning. I have a history of night sweats and hadn't had them in a few weeks but woke up cold and sweaty as well.

One of the possibilities to look for would be low thyroid (hypothyroidism). So your doctor may get blood work for the thyroid function tests for low oral temperature, and waking up cold and sweaty. Usually this is not likely to be anything serious or concerning. Other possibility can be Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) for your symptoms. GERD can be treated as following;
1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

A mild grade infection / inflammation may also be the rare cause, which can be looked, if above are ruled out.
Please feel free for your follow up questions. I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, usually I don't have any stomach or esophageal problems. My thyroid, the last year, has been on several checks and it has been ok. Though my last test a couple months ago was a bit up, 5.04, and was normal at hospital reference however. But for the last several months and I think I got some 96.6 reading several years ago. I've been up 15 minutes and it's about 96.9 and 97 keeps going up and down to 96.9. Is this too low of numbers?

I also take it under the right side of my tongue, I tried the left and it was 97.5.

The oral temperature varies quite a bit and this is not too low to be worried. These parameters are seen in the overall perspective of symptoms, other findings on physical exams etc. Thus I would not be worried. Your temperature on the other side is normal. A slight increased amount of saliva on one side may lower the temperature.
It is privilege assisting you.