Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I dont understand why its taking my wife and I so long to

I don't understand why it's taking my wife and I so long to get pregnant. We've been trying for 18 months and all of the tests have come back normal so far. Could the cause be stress?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It takes acouple on average a year by just "letting nature take its course"

Anthony Bray MD :

So by this standard you are not necessarily that far behind.

Anthony Bray MD :

You may increase your odds by having her monitor her AM temperature with a sensitive thermometer first thing in the AM (before she even gets out of bed).

Anthony Bray MD :

If you track the AM temps then you typically see a pattern with a rise in her body temp of about 0.5 degree at the time of ovulation.... Time intercourse with this time to improve your chances...

Anthony Bray MD :

Ovulation most typically occurs about day 14 of the menstrual cycle but may vary some in different women. You count the first day of the period as day #1

Anthony Bray MD :

A trick that may be worthwhile for you to try is to have her take plain Robitussin just before you have sex at the times that you are trying to become pregnant. This cough preparation is designed to thin respiratory mucus but it turns out that it thins the cervical mucuis as well!!

Anthony Bray MD :

There are also kits available that you may opt to buy to try and make sure that you have intercourse at the optimum time near her ovulation.

Customer:

thanks for the tips! I didn't know Robitussin could help with this.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions/information/discussion then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!!

Customer:

We've tried the ovulation kits but they didn't help. She is starting Clomid now.

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Good luck to you both!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:
Customer:

How will Clomid help since my wife already ovulates?

Customer:
Anthony Bray MD :

The clomid is to help ensure ovulation. That is how the med works. It does no magic beyond that!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Clomid is most helpful in women with irregular periods...

Anthony Bray MD :

PCOS is the prime example of when this med would be potentially helpful.

Customer:

Ok. I'm not sure if it will help us then. I hope it helps.

Customer:

Her periods are normal and regular.

Anthony Bray MD :

Well you have both been checked and seem to be OK so you will probably be successful. It is not uncommon for this to take time however.

Customer:

Ok. It's been very hard on both of us. Hope it happens soon.

Anthony Bray MD :

Well both of you try not to worry about it too much. Try to relax and enjoy life you know! Hopefully you will be successful soon!

Customer:

Thanks! We are going to Puerto Rico for vacation so that will be nice. Have a great night.

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you. You too!!

Customer:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A question came to mind since my wife just started using Clomid. If we are able to get pregnant with Clomid for our first child, will we most likely need to go with Clomid again if we want to have a second child?

Hello again,

No not necessarily. You may be able to get pregnant without the clomid. If in particular she has regular periods then the medication may not be necessary. Clomid helps to induce ovulation. Each situation may be somewhat different. (For example my wife and I have 3 children. she used clomid to help her get pregnant with the second but not the first or third pregnancy)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Does stress reduce sperm counts in men? I've been stressed at times with the infertility. My semen analysis results were normal.