911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

i have noticed within the past year that when I do leg lift

i have noticed within the past year that when I do leg lift excercises my naval will start to bulge out. when I stop the excercises it goes back to normal. I am a 55 year old male. I weigh 210 lbs about 5'9" and a little bit of belly fat. Is the protruding caused by fat being squeezed by the ab muscles? anything to worry about? No pain from the area.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

most likely something called a ventral hernia

911Doctor :

a defect in the abdominal wall

911Doctor :

strangely, the smaller these are the more dangerous

911Doctor :

so it would certainly be worth getting a surgeon to look at it

911Doctor :

the repair, if i am correct about what this is and there's not much else it could be, is pretty simple if this is done early when the hernia is small

Customer:

ok thanks

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

911Doctor :

just so you know

911Doctor :

there is an emergency condition

911Doctor :

that can occur with any kind of hernia

911Doctor :

and it is called an 'incarceration'

911Doctor :

basically

911Doctor :

this would occur if the bulge appears but does not go away

911Doctor :

then, over the course of an hour or two the area becomes quite painful

911Doctor :

THIS is a surgical emergency

911Doctor :

and while this is unlikely to happen to you, you should be aware of this possible problem.

911Doctor :

if you have no other questions please do remember that we are reimbursed only after you 'accept' our answers

911Doctor :

and positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician