Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

Lately Ive been having constant dizzy spells.

Lately I've been having constant dizzy spells. it lasts one minute but I see everything moving then I get naoutia and berps.

I am taking 100mg lasartan for high blood pressure and simvastatin + aspiring for blood thining.

I used to think it was my high blood pressure but I think not.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I would like to try and help you but I need some additional information. How long has this been going on? When you write that you "see things moving" do you feel like you or the room you are in is spinning or rocking in any way? Prior to this feeling, did you have a bad cold, or a head injury, or do you have migraines? Have you seen any doctors regarding this and had any tests? Is it better or worse when you move/ tilt your head backwards or roll over in bed? Do you have any ringing sounds in your ears or hearing loss?

Thanks for clarifying,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has bee going on for over 20 years,
when I see things moving, I feel the room spining counter clockwise

I don't recall feeling cold and I don't think it has to do with head injury.

I get migranes headaches (before the headache I see waving briliant lights -lines,) but I know that the headaches are caused by cafeine or fatigue.

I have not seen any doctores about this of have any tests.

I feel I passes faster when I seat down of stop moving

I used to have ringing sounds but these stop when I started taking high blood pressure medication. (I think )

Hello JAcustomer/ Ivan

Twenty YEARS?? No one should suffer for that long; what you seem to be describing is vertigo...the feeling that you are moving or experiencing motion when there is none. I am so sorry to hear of your situation. From personal experience I know how distressing and disabling vertigo can be; I empathize with you. I've suffered with this since 2006. I really hope I can guide you here and provide you with some resources and education regarding this issue.

A bit of background: The body regulates balance three ways: the inner ear, the eyes (what we see) and the central brain which puts it all together you could say. If one of those systems are "off" and the other two cant compensate, vertigo will result.

The problem is, people have many ideas and theories, but no one knows for sure why people get vertigo, and online no one can determine your exact cause. Here are some possible causes.

Possible reasons why people get vertigo include migraines, but usually the vertigo is followed by a headache, though there can be migraine vertigo without headache. From what you write, I wonder if there may be some migraine component to your vertigo, even though you write that your triggers are only caffeine or fatigue.

There is also cervical vertigo, which is not well understood at all, thought to arise from injuries or trauma to the cervical vertebrae.

Head trauma can cause vertigo as well, which is why I asked you if you had any head injuries.

A condition called Meniere's disease can also cause vertigo, though that is usually accompanied by ringing in the ears and temporary hearing loss. You don't appear to have this, as you state you have no hearing loss but no one can state anything for certain online.

Tumors of the inner ear called acoustic neuromas can cause vertigo.

The most common form of vertigo is benign paroxysmal positional...meaning that on sudden movements of the head, spinning sensations develop. That can be a result of little sediments that deposit in the inner ear canal. This might be a cause of your vertigo.

Vertigo also can be a sign of multiple sclerosis.Onset here is typically sudden, and the person with MS will find themselves unable to move their eyes towards their nose, ie look inwards.

A rare brain defect called a chiari malformation can result in vertigo.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can result in vertigo.

Bacteria and viral infections as well can cause vertigo. That was the case in my situation.

Treatment depends on the cause, and the cause is determined by knowing the history and the results of a physical exam. In Menieres disease, often a diuretic is given, as well as a low salt diet as salt is thought to be one of the culprits. In BPPV, exercises can be prescribed to settle the sediments in the inner ear. In vertigo caused by bacteria, steroids and valium (when the vertigo was truly bad) can be used, in addition to Meclazine (sold OTC as Bonine).

The specialist you should see is an ENT (ears, nose, and throat) physician. Neurologists can help as well as vertigo can be centrally caused. There ARE tests that can be done to pinpoint where the vertigo is coming from (central vs. inner ear) . They include things like ENG's and Rotator Chair and Caloric Testing.

Those all look for specific abnormal eye movements called nystagmus; the pattern helps determine where the vertigo originates. If you have not seen an ENT ...which you have not....I recommend strongly that you visit one. There are also special vestibular rehabilitation specialists, and they give exercises to help retrain the brain and help it rewire and correct whatever damage the vertigo did, if there is a vertigo present. There are also visual therapists as well should there be a optical cause or exacberating factor to the vertigo.

What I would suggest is that make an appointment with your doctor and discuss all this (as it may not even be could be something entirely different; if you feel better after eating you may have low blood sugar issues, for example) You've been suffering twenty years and that is far too long to live with this, especially when there may be help to stop it. Please discuss a referral to an ENT or neurologist as needed.

Here is a useful website regarding all things vertigo:

I really and truly hope I was able to help.