Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I know this is a very subjective question but in general, what

I know this is a very subjective question but in general, what are the typical symptoms of getting punched in the different parts of the head while boxing? I'm boxing once in a while as a sport but sometimes I ask myself after getting punched if I should stop because say I lost my balance, or this or that. My purpose for this question is to know what other more experienced boxers know about getting punched in the head. When is it generally a good time to stop fighting my opponent? Fractured legs arms or bones are obvious but I'm talking about the other non visible not so obvious symptoms. Thanks.

It sounds as though you're asking what the signs and symptoms of a concussion are, but, before we go there, have you had any worrisome symptoms after a boxing match?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello thank you for replying.

No I have not had any worrisome symptoms immediately after nor weeks later. No headaches, nothing weird, good sleep, I'm very healthy. I don't have a history of anything either. The only thing I have is a little bit of asthma which I've learned to deal with since I exercise every day. Thanks again.
OK--so your concern is whether you have or will suffer a concussion at some time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, it's more of a wish to know what kind of feelings to expect so I don't freek out in the middle of a match. I see other more experienced fighters when they get hit. They dance a bit around the ring and they just keep on going.
OK. Obviously there can be a knockout punch with actual unconsciousness or nearly that. Then there can be blurry vision, headache, a fog-like feeling of not knowing exactly where you are or what time it is, dizziness, ringing in the ears, and a loss of balance. Concussions can be subtle and not all of those symptoms may be present or very noticeable. If you do have any of those symptoms, it's important to stop the match and have, if possible, a physician or some other medical personnel to take a look at you. If someone actually does have a concussion, they shouldn't return to the sports activity for about two weeks and only after a doctor's OK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thank you for your answer it was great!
Any time--get back to me whenever you need another question answered.