Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I recently went on a cruise (a week ago) and ever since I have

I recently went on a cruise (a week ago) and ever since I have a feeling of dizziness. I also feel like I am coming down with a head cold, pressure in my ears and sinuses. No fever. I have taken some sudafed in the hopes of it helping, but no change. Could this be realted to the cruise still or a combination of the two?

Any fever or nasal drainage?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No

As far as being related to the cruise, I don't see a reason for saying that it is. You may have a sinus infection and that's the reason for the dizziness, and for that reason I suggest you not use any more decongestants or antihistamines. You can use a saline nasal irrigation kit to help relieve the stuffiness and dizziness, but if this continues for more than a few days, you should see your doctor about it.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Hello JACustomer,

I am writing because I have something to add here. Dr Chip is absolutely correct when he wrote that sinus infections and colds can cause vertigo. However, there is a little known form of vertigo that is called Mal de debarquement syndrome. It affects people who were on ships, and it sounds much like what you describe. It is not well studied, though.

OTC (Over the counter) medications for vertigo like Bonine/ meclizine can help with the discomfort. (Consult with your own doctor prior to taking medications of any sort, please)

Here is more information on this unusual form of vertigo: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/mdd.html

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you both for the information! I have a Neil Med Sinus irrigation bottle, so I will try that and I will also try the bonine. If nothing improves I will see my doctor. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to say, I have a lot of sinus issues, always have, but I have never experienced dizziness due to it. But maybe it is a combination of the two?
Hello JACustomer,

It very well may be a combination of the two; sinus and other sorts of upper respiratory colds can "bother" the nerve in the ear that handles balance. In most people it goes away though in a few weeks to the less fortunate ones who deal with it for a few months.

Adding a potential MDD to the issue though...that makes it hard to know what will happen. If though this vertigo feeling does not go away in a week or so, I suggest an appointment with an ENT, who can do a little more testing and evaluation to see where the vertigo is coming from (your inner ear verses your central brain, which also regulates balance; the eyes also play a role in human balance and equilibrium) and suggest the most appropriate way to treat it.

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan