Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I was using a battery powered weed eater (which is very light

Customer Question

I was using a battery powered weed eater (which is very light weight) and lost use to raise my arm up. Cannot hold my cup of coffee, can't turn the steering wheel of my vehicle without help from other arm.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.

Is the problem pain or is it that you just have no strength in the arm? When did this begin?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both... I have pain in my upper arm and top of shoulder. I had the pain before I started working in the yard. I figured it was the way I slept. Then as I was working, maybe 15 mins. I guess that"s when my arm just gave way.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Does it actually hurt to move the shoulder?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it hurt's on top of front of arm and also shoulder blade in the back of that arm. My neck Hurts too on that same side.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. While this could be a problem with the shoulder as a possible partial dislocation, the fact that you're having a grip loss problem indicates that there is also a nerve root compression situation, probably a ruptured disk in the neck. You need an MRI of the cervical spine and the shoulder and, depending on the results, I would probably refer you first to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD--for treatment first before considering sending you to a surgeon. But unless the muscle weakness problem can be resolved, it would be necessary to operate and to get the disk off the nerve root before you had permanent impairment of your arm and hand function.