Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My son in law has had 2 carcinomas in his chest. one 3 yrs

My son in law has had 2 carcinomas in his chest. one 3 yrs ago and the second last6 year. What can we (his only family) expect as far as reoccurances, and what are his chances should another one develope?
He is on morphine for pain and is unable to tke further radiation.
Hi--sorry for the delay. What specific kind of cancer does he have and what kind of surgery?
Just use reply to respond.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The first was a heavy defined Sarcoma that required radical surgery and the second was a light defined Sarcoma.
After the first surgery they took muscle from his back to replace some of the chest muscle but that did not take and has since been assimilated.
Sorry it took so long to answer your question.
No problem. So now the cancer has been removed twice and there's no more evidence of recurrence? I assume his oncologist--cancer doctor--has discussed his prognosis with him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm quite sure he has discussed the matter but he is very reticent about disclosing to my daughter what was said. He has told me he only has about 2 yrs to live, but no details. The sarcomas occured one on each side of his chest. Is it possible that he is correct in his estimate of his longevity?
Do you know, at least, if there's been any evidence that the sarcoma has become metastatic--spread to his lymph nodes or other parts of his body?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure if that has occured. It may be that he does not want to divulge that fact.

OK--as you must know, both your and my information is very limited here. Prognosis depends on grading and staging--how virulent the cancer is and whether it has spread beyond the primary tumor stage. If the cancer was completely removed and there were no spread, his chances of living for five more years would be from 50 to 90%. However, if there were spread, then he might not have much of a chance of living more than one or two years more. Here's a link for you.

http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/type/sarcoma/treatment/statistics-and-outlook-for-soft-tissue-sarcoma