Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have been experiencing a feeling like someone pressing a

I have been experiencing a feeling like someone pressing a thumb against the artery on the right front side of neck along with pressure like a headache behind my forhead. I also am having some tingling in my right forearm.
Greetings Kevin.

Since when are your symptoms?
Any significant past illness?
What are your present medications?
Do you have vision disturbance, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, balance problem, fever, neck stiffness?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About a week for the neck pressure and tingling in my arm today with a pressure behind my eyes. I have no nausea or fever. My neck is a little stiff but that is pretty normal.
I take Omneprazole, Welbutrin, and vitamins. The neck pressure is driving me nuts and its only on the right artery
Hello Kevin,

Your symptoms of pressure on the neck artery, neck stiffness, headache behind eyes and tingling in right forearm can be due to pinched nerves in the neck. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Physical therapy, neck traction, deep electrotherapy are the recommended treatment.

Headache and pressure behind the eyes can be due to what we term as cervicogenic headache. This headache is caused by referred pain from the upper neck (cervical) joints. The headache is caused by neck movement or sustained awkward head positioning. So people who work long hours on computers are liable to have this kind of headache. Migraine and tension-type headache can be the other possibility for all of your symptoms. Physical therapy is the preferred initial treatment for cervicogenic headache.

If your symptoms are moderate to severe; these should be evaluated by a doctor; so you may consider going to the hospital. Investigation would be able to clinch the diagnosis with a physical exam by the doctor. Your symptoms are unlikely to be due to mini stroke (termed as transient ischemic attack / TIA) or other serious cause, still getting an evaluation is recommended as these have going on for some time.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. Please note you are rating my help and not the web site or the solution; only my help. If you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the Reply To Expert or Continue Conversation button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,