Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi my 2yr old son came up in a lump last saturday he had anti

Customer Question

Hi my 2yr old son came up in a lump last saturday he had anti biotics amoxcilin but the lump just keeps growin its still only small but he came up in another 1 yesturday they both at bk of his head and today I found one inbetween his rib cage but he has no infection please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Where exactly is the second lump and are both lumps movable and not tender or red? Why was he giving the anitibiotic--what infection was being treated?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
non moveable very hard and one on the right side of his head is slightly red and the other one is the same and he was treated with anti biotics because he had chest infection but he its gone and he has finished course of amoxcilin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did his doctor see these lumps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea took him straight to hospital they said it was lymph nodes but was told by a doctor that the lump should have gone down with his anti biotics but it because it got bigger and 2 more came up and the hospital said they cannot do tests because my son have a high enough temprature at that time. do lymph nodes still grow when there is no infection
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--just to be clear here, how many lumps and exactly where are they?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are 2 at the back of his head and 1 inbetween his ribcage
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--the ones in the back of the head could be lymph nodes, but not the one near the ribcage--nodes aren't in that area. These could rather be sebaceous cysts that may or may not be infected, or they could be small boils--a skin infection. If they continue to enlarge and don't drain, they would have to be lanced to treat them, but a second course of antibiotics like Septra DS might work for them. Of course, if the ones in the back of the head are nodes, he might have mononucleosis or--and I don't think this is very likely--lymphoma. I would have him evaluated by a pediatrician at this point.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what does all that mean? the lump inbetween his ribcage just above the abdomen is a hard lump that does not move feels the same as a lymph node
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, as I said before, there are no lymph nodes in the abdominal area you describe so that's why I don't think the other two lumps are nodes since all of these came up pretty much at the same time. Lymph nodes, even ones that are enlarged because of infections, are not hard and nonmovable, so that's why I think these are more likely cysts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok get him straight bk down to the hospital thank you so much u have been a great help knew there was something not right. thank you enough xxxx
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, but please let me know how it goes with him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will and thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care--don't forget to rate my answer as to Great Service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will do the great service once have had him checked and able 2 replyed bk 2 you on what the hospital say.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but could u tell me what the doctors should do to check him properly please just so am aware of how they should check if they are cysts or to be sure on what the lumps actually are?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay--a dermatologist could address this, but generally just a pedatrician should be able to determine if they are cysts or boils.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you am here now waitin 2 b seen
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what the doctor says.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well at the moment a doctor has to say its a lymph node in his chest between the ribs. the lump is boney doesnot move and is dead in the middle were the both side of the ribs spread apart gettin very frustrated here
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying the lump is somewhere around his breast bone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its in between were both rib cages split sorry dnt knw what that part is called there no redness there and its on the inside of his body they did say its a rare place to have a lump but am very concerned
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It isn't a node then--don't they think it's an infection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its were the lower sternal region is and no because he not got a temerature and because he seems well in himself
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
An infected cyst or a boil wouldn't usually cause any fever.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was his sternal bone stickin out bcoz he so skinny apparantly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What about the other lumps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the docs are still insisting they are lymph nodes (swollen galnds) but gonna wait few weeks if they dnt go dwn then take him bk
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--lymph nodes that enlarge after an infection can take several weeks to return to normal. Let me know how he does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did already rate ur service just guessing that its 13pound for every answer
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--that's only if you rate/accept another answer of mine.