Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been suffering, for at least 6 weeks now, with pain

I have been suffering, for at least 6 weeks now, with pain in my left shoulder that is sometimes radiating into the base of my skull and often so uncomfortable I can not even lie in bed without pain. It feels as though the muscle is cramping and certainly the cold does not help, however this is not a problem that has only been happening during cold weather. I was experiencing the same sort of pain through summer as well and despite massaging twice daily with lavender, kunzea, emu and/or heating oil and sometimes applying capsicum patches, along with taking pain killers such as mercyndol and ibeprofen (although have tried to avoid taking them every day for obvious reasons) I am not getting any relief (sometimes I can get enough relief to get some sleep from taking 2-3 mercyndol before bed). What could be causing this constant pain and most importantly - how can I stop it please?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Radiating pain suggests nerve involvement.

mysticdoc :

The problem likely lies in your cervical spine.

mysticdoc :

If the affected nerve is getting pinched from disc pathologies, you will get these severe symptoms.

mysticdoc :

Disc herniation, arthritis, spinal canal narrowing, rarely spinal tumors can cause these problems.

mysticdoc :

The only way to know the problem is to get a MRI scan of the cervical spine given the long duration of symptoms.

mysticdoc :

And a neurologist should be consulted.

mysticdoc :

Physical therapy often provides the much needed relief.

mysticdoc :

The physical therapy focuses on the maneuvers to release the pressure on the affected nerves.

Customer:

I had an MRI last year on the area - although the pain was more in the neck at that point - however was still getting the numbness. This time the pain is more in the shoulder and the entire muscle that runs across the shoulder seems inflamed (swollen).

Customer:

I have had physio with no relief and the stretches I am doing were prescribed by an oestopath, but, whilst I had some relief from the pain last year (by using the stretches he prescribed), I am getting no relief now and the fact that the muscle seems inflamed is peculiar when compared to previous symptoms.

mysticdoc :

Epidural steroid injection and intra articular steroid injection very effective in treating the inflammation

mysticdoc :

and it is essential to get a cervical spine MRI>

mysticdoc :

I think you will need surgery if injections do not work.

Customer:

MRI results from last year showed arthritis in spine and oedema in spine (at base of neck - around the point where I have a vertebra that was previously cracked).

Customer:

how long might the steroid injection be effective in controlling pain?

mysticdoc :

within a week

mysticdoc :

the injection can be repeated again if you show signs of improvement.

mysticdoc :

you need to go to a pain clinic.

Customer:

this problem initially surfaced after I was assaulted by a hypnotherapist I was seeing - he was sitting on my left side during hypnotherapy when he assaulted me and tried to kiss me - I "jolted" away (pulled to the right) and was abruptly awoken from my deeply relaxed state. Within a week of this occurring, I started getting unbearable symptoms and it's been ongoing (although sometimes during the last year since that occurred - I've been fortunate enough to have no symptoms).

mysticdoc :

Very unfortunate incident.

mysticdoc :

But the problem is likely what I discussed above.

mysticdoc :

And the solution also as I discussed

Customer:

infuriating and yes unfortunate.

Customer:

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I request another MRI and steroid injection from my doctor here in Australia? I'm not sure that there are "pain clinics" here in the regional area where I live.

mysticdoc :

Yes ofcourse.

mysticdoc :

you can see a specialist like pain medicine specialist.

mysticdoc :

ask your doctor for a referral to a pain medicine specialist

mysticdoc :

He will understand

Customer:

ok thanks. in the mean time, is mercyndol the best over the counter pain relief to take?

mysticdoc :

yes

mysticdoc :

you can try with ibuprofen

mysticdoc :

for better effect

Customer:

oh ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not realise I could combine the two.

mysticdoc :

yes you can

mysticdoc :

best wishes

mysticdoc :

get well soon

Customer:

This evening I've taken 2 mercyndol (it's 2am here now, and I could not sleep or get comfortable)

Customer:

so how many ibeprofen can I take safely with that dose of mercyndol please?

Customer:

Sorry - just before you go.

mysticdoc :

you can take 400 mg 3 times daily

Customer:

along with 2-3 mercyndol?

mysticdoc :

yes

Customer:

ok many thanks

Customer:

I appreciate your help

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

very welcome