Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions

Received report from hospital ultrasound (completed last Monday)

Customer Question

Received report from hospital ultrasound (completed last Monday) of a mildly enlarged fatty liver - echogenic, but of normal contour. 3 liver cysts were found, all benign, the largest of which was 1.3 cm. Terms of hepatic steatosis used and hepatic cysts.

No gallbladder problems found (which is actually why my doctor had sent me for the ultrasound). Common bile duct was found normal. Right kidney and pancreas were found normal.

Received blood work paperwork yesterday also - stating that blood work and levels were normal.

Symptoms - about 5-6 weeks ago started noticing a feeling of pressure under my right rib cage. No pain, but annoying. Weight now 242 pounds, 6'4" inches tall. Probably have gained 10-12 pounds over the last 6 months.

Researching 'fatty liver' and 'enlarged liver' on-line has me spooledup that I'm going to die from this (ok, maybe a bit of an overexageration), but I'm scared of what's going on.
Category: Health
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer!
Are you a diabetic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not ... also probably worth noting, I do not (have never) drank alcohol nor do I smoke ... work in a very stressful environment, and do not exercise regularly.
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.
The feeling of pressure may be due to fatty liver.
You can reduce weight for reversal of fatty liver.
You can also take medication like urso deoxy cholic acid.
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.
Anything else you want to know?
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.
You seem to be not happy with the answer.
This conversation is open till all you questions are answered.
i am very much willing to answer all your questions.
is there anything else you want to know?
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.
You have a right upper quadrant pain.
pain in this area can occur due to liver and gallbladder issues.
It can sometimes be due to right lower lung issues or due to musculoskeletal issue.
ultrasound abdomen has ruled out gallbladder issue.
It only says that you have fatty liver.
fatty liver occurs when there is fat deposition in liver.
the common causes being obesity and diabetes
fatty liver causes a dragging pain or heaviness in the right upper quadrant.
to rule out right lung issues chest xray may be done. But it usually has other symptoms like cough, pain on deep inspiration.
since the information given by you points more towards fatty liver, I gave that answer.
fatty liver is a harmless condition unless it is present for years when it can lead to liver cirrhosis.
So there is no need to worry.
Excess weight appears to the risk factor for fatty liver in your case.
So I suggested reduction of weight.
If there is any more questions you want to ask, you can ask me.
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.
Anymore questions you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Trying to respond for the third time, but the questions keep getting dropped ... Diet is probably my next largest concern ... that will need to be a major adjustment for me ...

low fat? low calorie? chicken? turkey? rice?

have used sweet iced tea as my morning cup of coffee ... but it appears the processed sugar is not good for the fatty liver.

Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I specialize in liver disease research. I'm happy to help you today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here's what I can tell you today -

Not diabetic, non-smoker, never had an alcoholic drink in my life. no regular exercise (although that's obviously going to have to change).

Researching 'fatty liver' and 'enlarged liver' on-line has me spooled up that I'm going to die from this (ok, maybe a bit of an overexageration), but I'm scared of what's going on.

Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I understand you have a fatty liver. The diet advised to help manage your disease includes a low protein low fat diet that includes no more than 2-3 servings of red meat per week. Green leafy vegetables are of great benefit. I will get a more detailed diet for you shortly. What questions do you have? Did the ultrasound indicate any fluid in the abdomen? Do you have any history of GI problems? Any other symptoms?
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I will be unavailable for about 20 minutes. I am certain I can answer all of your questions in great detail very shortly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i keep trying to respond with questions by the system will not accept.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Worried about where this leads - cirrosis, cancer ... etc ... can the enlarged liver be reduced back to size? is that likely due to the fatty liver?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do have a history of heartburn ... doctor recently prescribed lansoprazole 30 mg once daily (generic prevacid) ...
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
It depends on the reason for the fatty liver. If you could answer these questions it will help me determine the possible cause.
1. Are you overweight?
2. Do you have history of any autoimmune diseases?
3. Do you have a history of any gastrointestinal disorders?
4. Any other health problems?
5. Take Any medications?
6. Any other symptoms at all? Ie. insomnia, forgetfulness, swelling of extremities anything at all please list
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably yes to overweight, weighed in at 242 pounds for 6'4". Gained 15 pounds over last six months. No autoimmune problems, have been very healthy. No other medications. Now taking generic prevacid as prescribed. History of heartburn. Hard to say whether f
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
You need to have some blood tests ordered (ANA) antinuclear antibodies to screen for auto immune disease. NASH/fatty liver can be caused by obesity, poor diet, genetic abnormality and autoimmune disease. Symptoms and progression can be reduced and sometimes reversed depending on the cause. In cases of poor diet or obesity. Weight loss and proper diet will remedy the problem. In the other scenarios it can be harder to control and requires close monitoring. You mentioned above that blood work was normal, do you know what tests were done? Cirrhosis can develop if the NASH is not controlled. Progression can be quick or slow and this also depends on the source of the fatty liver. You should not sink alcohol and avoid Tylenol or any products with aspirin or acetaminophen. You also mention you have gained 15 lbs recently. This may be water weight, did the ultrasound mention fluid in the abdomen? This can be treated with diuretics if needed. Your heartburn may or may not be related to the liver issue. You should also have a complete liver panel of blood tests done to check for hepatitis and liver functions if they haven't been done already.
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I also want to give you the name of a website that I refer to my patients. It is the best I've ever found for information on any kind of liver condition.Www.hcvadvocate.org
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So aspirin is not recommended at this time?
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Best to stay away yes
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So my other big question has to do with diet ... chicken? turkey? staying away from red meats? brown rice?

have always enjoyed my sweet ice tea in the morning - in place of coffee (which I don't like) ... but that's probably not a great deal any longer with the processed sugar ... have read that green tea has a positive effect on fatty liver?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
nurse has left the system
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay. Do you want another expert?
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I'm available to go over the diet with you now. Let me know when you're ready or if you want another expert. Sorry about the delay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Diet is obviously a big concern now ... working to get out and walk 30 minutes a night either on treadmill or outside to try and increase the exercise. Really bothering me lately.
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I'm workIng in an answer for you. I'll respond shortly