RK
RK, Doctor
Experience:  MD, DM.

My hemoglobin level is 13.2 and I have platelet count of about

My hemoglobin level is 13.2 and I have platelet count of about 125. I was sent to a hemotologist that was not very concerned about my platelet count, but he is more concerned about my hemoglobin count of 13.2. I am scheduled for a bone marrow asperation & biopsy. Is this a necessary procedure and warranted for borderline anemia?
Category: Health
Expert:  RK replied 2 years ago.

RK :

Hi

RK :

are you online?

Customer:
Customer:

Yes

RK :

why was this test done?

Customer:

I should also add that I am a vegetarian for the past 8 years.

RK :

Okay

RK :

I would like to know why this blood test was done

Customer:

I went to the doctor for a routine physical, and he ran a CBC as part of my exam. He referred me to a hemotologist based on the levels stated above. The bone marrow biopsy has not been done yet. It is scheduled to be done on July 20th.

RK :

any symptom you have?

RK :

What is the total white cell count?

Customer:

I am checking on my white blood cell count, but it was in the normal rabge.

RK :

was peripheral blood smear test done?

Customer:

I am looking at my CBC and WBC is 5.3.

Customer:

No

RK :

What reason did your doctor for doing the bone marrow test

Customer:

He wants to be able to determine why I have anemia & look at the cells in my bone marrow. He offered several potential reasons why I have anemia, but I do not believe he has a reason that is why he wants to do the bone marrow test.

RK :

hemoglobin is 13.2 is well above the WHO standard of defining anemia

RK :

so i do not feel any more test is required

Customer:

He told me normal for a male at 40 years old is 14, so he said I have anemia.

RK :

even in that case 13.2 is not very low to warrant a bone marrow aspiration test

Customer:

What is the normal range for the hemoglobin count for a white male at 40 years old? Is it significant if it 13.2 versus 14.0?

RK :

even in case of severe anemia, peripheral blood smear, stool test, and iron studies should be done first before going for bone marrow test

Customer:

The doctor is a hemotologist/oncologist. Since most of his practice is oncology, I do not know if this enter into his assessment. How low should my hemoglobin count be before a bone marrow test is done?

RK :

I would start the evaluation for anemia if the hemoglobin is below 12 ( as per WHO standards). As told earlier i would first do a peripheral blood smear test, stool test and iron studies and only after that proceed towards bone marrow test

Customer:

Thank You.

RK :

If you are satisfied with my answer leave a good feedback so that I get paid for my work.

Customer:

Okay.

RK, Doctor
Experience: MD, DM.