Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My thyroxine levels keep dropping my doctor has just put tablets

My thyroxine levels keep dropping my doctor has just put tablets level up to 250mg. I had my thyroid removed 1 year ago and have put on a lot of weight the doctor has said my bood levels are fine but my thyroid levels are showing under active, he has increased my levels of tablets twice in 3 months , can you suggest anything.

Just to be clear here, can you give me your most recent TSH level?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure about the TSH all my mdoctor told me was the last reading was low at 13 then last week it was lower still at 11
OK--if the TSH is near 1.0 then you aren't hypothyroid. Why are you saying the levels show you to still be underactive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All he said to me was my blood levels readings were spot in the middle of the chart but the thyorid level was reading 9 and showing under active.

OK--I guess he was saying you TSH was still high at 9. So now he's just increased your thyroid dosage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he actually said my reading was low and underactive and increased the dosage he was concernerd because he did not want to increase it and i have to have another test in 1 month so now i am more confused.

If you levels were low and you were gaining weight, the proper course would be to increase the dosage--why was he reluctant to do that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He said that he did not think my body was absorbing the thyroxine and he could not understand why. and that he did not usually percribe such a high dosage, he has told me if i get the shakes or heart palpertations to stop taking the tablets.
OK--is this an endocrinologist and what precisely is your thyroid medication and the mg you're taking now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is a GP doctor at my surgery My Tablets are called Levothyroxine 250mg

OK--that's a somewhat high dosage but not in my mind near the level where I would worry about it. Has he considered switching to Armour thyroid which is a natural blend of thyroid hormone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he did not mention this make i have to go back in two weeks i will mention this brand to him. thank you
I would definitely do that, and, if he's still uneasy about that or increasing your dose of the levothyroxine, you should ask for an endocrinology referral.