Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello Dr chip I have another question for u....something else

Hello Dr chip I have another question for u....something else I can't stand about my body is that I like to consider myself pretty athletic body wise..I have toned calves abs arms and I also have breasts.the only time I have my shirt off is when I'm alone..I've done every chest exercise imaginable and I have some shape but from the side they still look like do I get rid of these things? It sure would give me more confidence
Hi again--how long have your breasts been like this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since I've been a child. I can remember being young and covering my chest with my arm at the pool then middle school I skipped swimming and failed my pe class because of this. Now in my adult years its even worst because I'm toned all over with these breast
OK--have you ever discussed this with a doctor before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't simply because I don't have one..with me bouncing from job to job my health insurance isn't the greatest
I understand. It's called gynecomastia and not a serious medical problem but obviously bothersome for you. While there are breast cancer medications like Tamoxifen that can be tried here, that really isn't the way to go for a long man. Unfortunately, the only effective treatment is either liposuction of the fatty part or actual surgical removal the of the breast tissue--a mastectomy in a male. A second unfortunate part is that an insurance company would consider this a cosmetic procedure and wouldn't cover the cost. If you went the liposuction route, it might cost you somewhere in the range of several hundred dollars for the procedure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So there's no pill that can get rid of this and my cheapest route would be liposuction?
Truth here--no, there's no pill for this--it really is a mechanical thing and you have to have the fat removed. Liposuction would be the straightway to go.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Who would I go to for liposuction a hospital or these boob job places?
A cosmetic spa that does liposuction. Not a specific boob job place--just one that does standard liposuction.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If there any dangers with these surgeries because I know I need it but my girlfriend wants a reduction and she definitely does not need one she's a 38c and I love it so I'm tyring to convince her not to but don't know what words to say...and needless to say we don't talk about my situation often
Actually, in your case, the amount of tissue removed is relatively small, and it's only with major suction of fatty areas that complications can occur. Her breast reduction wouldn't be liposuction--it entails a major operation. For you, the risk of infection would be the only risk and that would be very small.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So what can I say to convince a female who definitely does not need a reduction to not have one or would u recommend her getting one anyway
Why does she want the reduction--something like neck pain because of the weight of the breasts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No she has no pain whatsoever I think she just like bragging about her breasts and there not that big and I've seen some big breasts in my time. I don't tell her that though because she'll quickly talk about mine and she knows I'm sensitive about that subject I just want to know what to say so she won't get one and I'm not looking down on her
Not sure I understand here--she wants a breast reduction for no particular reason?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That what it seems like to me but if u ask her she'll just tell u there just to big...she's 5 4 135 lbs and a 38c
Well, all I would say is that this is a major operation under anesthesia with possible complications and the results can't be guaranteed as in she'll just love the new breasts. And, again, this would be considered a cosmetic procedure, so insurance wouldn't pay for it and the total cost would run her probably at least $3,000 or more. Hopefully that will be enough to keep her from considering it any more.