Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
62535071

Ra-GM

Customer Question

Hi. My niece has had some recent bloodwork I am concerned about. She is 15 and just as an FYI did still have her period when the blood test was done. Also she seems to be depressed and thereof much concern. What do these results indicate to you, and can you ease help give me insight? I thought perhaps a hematologist would be the place to begin.
HERE ARE THE TESTS IN QUESTION;
PLT  406 H           (150 to 400)
LYMPH#  3.5 H     (1.0  to 3.3)
Potassium 3.4 L     (3.5  to 5.1)
Glucose    102 H    (70 to  99)
Total protein 9.0 H  (6.0 to 8.3)
Lithium <0.2 L         (0.6 to 1.2)
Urobilinogen 1*   (* means 
                              Abnormal)
Thanks SOOOOO MUCH
Rosanne
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.

Nurse72 :

Hello and thank you for your question. Does she have any medical problems or take any medications? Why were these tests ordered?

Nurse72 :

They ordered a lithium level so i'm assuming she is on lithium for depression?

Nurse72 :

are you able to respond?

Nurse72 :

was she fasting for these blood tests?

Nurse72 :

Rosanne i will wait a few minutes for youto respond then i will switch to the other format since you may be having trouble with the chat

Customer : She was at the ER when they took the test. We were concerned about her general feeling of depression as she had also been victim of some school bullying in the past. No she is not taking any meds as of right now. That is th current discussion on the table. I am not sure why the bloods were drawn my guess was to determine what was going on and if there are any medical issues tied to this. Why else would they're do a lithium test & why would it be low? Isn't that a natural chemical everyone has in their body? Also what do the other abnormal tests indicate & how does it all tie in to each other? The ER did not explain much. I wands thinking a hematologist would be one who could explain it. Can you give me any insight to what these results mean????
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Please respond in this format
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Yes lithium is a naturally occurring substance in the body. It is often checked to detect toxicity in patients taking lithium as well. All of the other test results were only borderline abnormal but should be repeated. They don't really indicate any problem at this point. Was she dehydrated from fasting at the time of the blood draw? The reason I ask is this can cause the lithium level to show abnormal low.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't believe she was dehydrated at all. What else would it mean ? Can you give me any insights suggestionsor direction
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
She may simply have a deficiency of the lithium salts needed to feel normal. This could explain why she is depressed. I would advise a repeat of the tests to be certain, she should be fasting but drink plenty of water to ensure accurate results. The other tests (total protein and urobili) are for kidney function which can also be slightly abnormal if she was fasting for too long without water.