Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
62535071

Hi there, I went over my ankle 10 days ago and although it

Hi there,
I went over my ankle 10 days ago and although it was xray'd at the time they said they would phone the next day once it was revieved by the consultant and would be in touch if there were any concerns, I didn't get a call so assumed it's not broken just sprained/strained. I followed First Aid R.I.C.E for 3 days. Now although the swelling has reduced I'm still very badly bruised, still in pain (taking Co-Codamol regularly (unable to take Brufen due to a gastric band) and cannot weightbear or move it normally.
Would I be wasting my doctors time going bk this week to get a check up on it?
Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.

Nurse72 :

No this would not be a waste of time. This could be a stress fracture which doesn't always show up on an initial xray but shows up a few days later when signs of bone healing are evident in the xray

Nurse72 :

You may have also damaged other areas that can't be seen in an xray

Nurse72 :

ligaments or cartilage

Nurse72 :

Are you able to respond?

Nurse72 :

When was the injury? When was the xray?

Customer:

I feel like my ankle is constantly in a pushed/twisted/pressurised position, i landed on the side of it and it turned so far inwards that I scraped the tops of my last 2 toes (at and exercise class). It was last wed evening and was xray'd that night

Nurse72 :

Yes you may have a fracture that wasn't detectable so soon after the injury

Nurse72 :

you need another xray or mri of the area

Nurse72 :

you may have damaged ligaments or cartilage

Customer:

would u suggest seeing my doc or go straight to a+e again?

Nurse72 :

it depends on how much pain you are in

Nurse72 :

if you are in alot of pain you may want to be seen at an urgent care center today for pain management

Nurse72 :

otherwise it can wait until tomorrow

Nurse72 :

its not a dangerous condition just very painful

Nurse72 :

Do not try to bear weight on the foot

Nurse72 :

do you have it in an ace bandage?

Nurse72 :

Does your foot feel cold to touch or look bluish in color?

Customer:

I can wait till tomorrow, I have crutches that a friend gave which makes me feel guilty as the hospital didn't offer me crutches they gave me a tubigrip which I didn't find very supportive so my husband has been applying a crepe bandage in a technique he says is a figure of 8? he learnt it at a first aid course?

Nurse72 :

Yes that sounds good. use the bandage with firm compression but not too tight as to constrict blood flow

Nurse72 :

Keep up the RICE therapy

Nurse72 :

it needs another xray

Nurse72 :

possibly MRI

Customer:

my feet are mostly always cold but it's no different from the other and my hubby says my capillary refill is still ok :) But i do have a tight calf and shin now but I think thats from not using the muscles properly

Nurse72 :

Ok thats good, youre probably right about the tight calf.

Nurse72 :

you may have pulled a muscle from the injury as well causing calf pain.

Nurse72 :

is the calf swollen or hot?

Customer:

hubby says it's not red or hot so that's good,

Customer:

not swollen either

Nurse72 :

Good. Sounds like he's taking good care of you : )

Nurse72 :

Make sure you go for a follow up. You should have been getting better by now not worse.

Customer:

He is bless him, thank you for your advise, I'll see if GP can fit me in this week or I might try the minor injuries unit if he can't.

Nurse72 :

Very good. Best of luck and I hope you are better soon

Nurse72 :

Warm Regards

Nurse72 :

Nurse72

Customer:

Thank you once again

Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions