Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

i am going to have a septoplasty done and am extremely worried

i am going to have a septoplasty done and am extremely worried about how i will cope after it with the blocked nose for so many days. My septum is an s shape and gets blocked on one side quite a bit. i get recurrent nose infections and when i get a cold find it impossible to cope as i feel i cant breath and i a cant get the pghlem up. it is an awful feeling and i cant sleep. i actually get a bit hysterical and have twice phoned the doctor out of hours service to try and get help. Have a ton of cough bottles etc and none help. I am so concerned about the aftermath of the op i am considering cancelling it. Is it usually a sucessful op or does it make so little difference it is not worth the anxiety? I am 47 years old.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

Septoplasty is considered as a minor procedure and post operative course is uneventful in almost all. The post op discomfort is usually mild and you would cope up well. There is nothing to worry about it and for all practical purposes you would be able to function near normal just in 3-5 hours after the surgery. Breathing is significantly improved after the surgery and recurrent nose infections should resolve completely (or significant decrease in severity and duration).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. Please note you are rating my help and not the web site or the solution; only my help. If you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the Reply To Expert or Continue Conversation button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to interfere in your consult here but I have personal experience with this procedure. I'd be happy to discuss the post operative course with you.

Warm regards
Nurse72
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you - would like to know how bad it was post op - really frightened about not being able to stop panicking after it
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Let me just start by saying the surgery was not a big deal at all. I had hardly any pain. You will have packing in the nose and a splint on the outside. The worst part was having a bad Taste in my mouth after breathing though my mouth for so long. You get used to it after a few hours. Keep in mind the end result will be so worth the few days of discomfort. I was given pain medication to take for those few days and I advise you take it too. It not only completely controlled my pain but eased the anxiety of wearing the splint and packing. It was truly one if the best things I have ever done and wish I had done it sooner. I can breathe so easily now it's a blessing. I also had rhinoplasty in addition to the septoplasty so my nose was broken. Let me know if you have more questions. Best of luck : )

Nurse72

Since we see lot of septoplasty cases in the surgical wards; as we discussed, the post op course is quite smooth. There may be slight discomfort for few hours but you will have near normal routine afterwards.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for reassurance as my anxiety has been getting out of hand. it does not sound as bad as i was anticipating. thank you for your prompt answer.
Yes, it would not be bad at all. Please do not worry and just relax.

Good luck.