Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I need some advice on losing weight. I am a 24 year old male,

I need some advice on losing weight. I am a 24 year old male, 240lbs and 5'11. I used to be very athletic in high school and somewhat in college, but with my current job I am unable to dedicate as much time to fitness as I used to. My job is pretty physical (I spend most of the day crawling along pipelines and climbing columns in an oil refinery) and I am always subjected to the elements (some operating units have ambient temperatures exceeding 130 degrees). Because of the nature of my job, I am not able to consume the recommended 5 to 6 small meals daily (I usually am only able to eat 2 or 3 times a day). Coupled with a 12 hour shift schedule, I simply do not have the energy to perform during the days I attempt to workout. I find myself extremely fatigued at the end of the day, sometimes to the point that I have to force myself to stay awake driving home. I am struggling to maintain the weight I am at now and I need some direction on how to begin to lose weight! I recently went to a doctor to check my thyroid, blood pressure and cholesterol, all of which came back normal, with cholesterol slightly elevated. I am willing to try almost anything at this point!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ

systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Well, the best way to lose weight is by means of dietary control and exercise.

And both the diet and exercise plan need to be closely supervised and monitored by a certified dietician and a physical therapist, as together they can appropriately guide you regarding kind of diet and its types which will suit best to your needs, and various forms of exercises and the appropriate duration.

If these measures alone are not helpful, then pharmacological intervention can be done in the form of drugs that assist you to lose weight.

The only drug approved by FDA for weight loss is Orlistat (Xenical) which you can take to assist you in weight loss. You can ask your doctor for a prescription and discuss with him about this in detail.

Here is an article that i have searched for you; please click.

http://www.medicinenet.com/orlistat/article.htm

Furthermore, various bariatric surgeries are also an option but reserved only for resistant cases having morbid obesity. Click on this link for further details regarding these;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastric-bypass/MY00825/

Most importantly an underlying cause need to ruled out that might be responsible for your weight such as hypothyroidism (already ruled out), cushings disease, and other diseases/drugs etc [surely your treating physician must have looked for these already].

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis, you just need to continue working over it continuously (in terms of diet and exercise) and discuss with your doctor the options i have suggested.

For excessive fatigue, Vitamin E 400mg daily along with Co-enzyme Q-10 supplements will be of great help.

Stay relaxed.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will

appreciate 4/5 Star Rating (Good/Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the

only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up

questions or clarifications any time.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties