physician123
physician123, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

I am diabetic. I also had a deep vein thromobosis in my left

I am diabetic. I also had a deep vein thromobosis in my left leg that traveled to my lungs last year. This damaged the lymphatic system in my left leg and it stays severely swollen below the knew all the time no matter what I do. I recently got a mosquito bite on the calf of that swollen leg. I scratched it and it bled but now it is weeping a clear fluid. It does not have an odor and looks like water. It has been leaking for a few days now. It is slightly red around the bite. I have been applying gentamicin cream twice a day and also started taking a refill of Cipro today that I had on file at the pharmacist. Should I still go see a doctor or give this a few days to clear up on it's own?
Category: Health
Expert:  physician123 replied 2 years ago.

physician123 :

Hello

physician123 :

Welcome to just answer

physician123 :

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort

physician123 :

Please enter the chat

Customer:

Hello

physician123 :

I am here to answer you

physician123 :

Do you have breathlessness or any other complaints apart from the clear fluid discharge ?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I am just worried because of the diabetes and lyphodema

physician123 :

Yes i get your point .

physician123 :

Has the oozing reduced ?

Customer:

No it pretty steady I would say about a teaspoon an hour maybe a little more. It is completely clear with no odor.

physician123 :

How many days has this been going on for ?

Customer:

it started just a leaking just a little bit about three days ago

physician123 :

OKay

Customer:

I started the Cipro this morning.

physician123 :

As you have started on oral antibiotics it is good

physician123 :

This could help this clear faster

physician123 :

You should ensure your blood sugar is within normal limits and well controlled

Customer:

should I wrap the area with a compression bandage

physician123 :

You should keep the wound clean and you can apply a normal bandage as you wrap it up

physician123 :

A normal dressing will do

physician123 :

If you have access to a doctor then you should get it checked as you are diabetic as well

Customer:

Thank you

physician123 :

The oozing fluid should be tested with culture and sensitivity

physician123 :

This will give us more information on the same

physician123 :

So ideally you should get a check

Customer:

It will be a few days before my doctor will be in the office. It is ok to wait that long?

physician123 :

How many days ?

Customer:

3

Customer:

he is out till Wednesday

physician123 :

If the discharge does not decrease or you develop additional complaints then you should get a check

physician123 :

So you should keep a close watch

Customer:

ok thank you very much for your help

physician123 :

Keep the wound clean and well dressed

physician123 :

You are welcome

Customer:

I will

physician123 :

I wish you all the best , a speedy recovery and great health

physician123, Doctor
Experience: MD