Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Can the supplement GABA be addictive? Ive been taking it for

Can the supplement GABA be addictive? I've been taking it for a few months and recently stopped. Now I have this internal tremor feeling and feel jittery 24-7, which I've never experieneced before. It could be coincidence because I am super stressed and have a ton of anxiety. But, is there anyway to be addicted to GABA? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted to get your opinion.

The GABA would be helpful to calm my nerves right now but I am hesitant to take it incase it's what caused this jittery feeling. Either through nerve damage, addiction or some kind of rebound effect from not being on it (if that's at all possible).

Can you let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Well GABA is a natural tranquilizer and sedative and it induces sleep and relieves stress.
And it should be avoided to take it for long term use without consulting a doctor.
Studies have revealed that too much of GABA, when ingested can have adverse effects.
It can cause some non specific symptoms like headache, dizziness, fatigue, etc. But no significant side effects
Some others have noted a change in the way of breathing (either too fast or too slow) and a throbbing heart.
So you need to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
Your doctor may either adjust your GABA supplement dosage or opt for other anti-anxiety medications.
I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.