Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

ch-fc

Customer Question

Just got my cartilage pierced last week and I literally cannot sleep. The pain is excruciating I think it's infected but I don't want to take it out so the infection would get trapped. It's red and swollen and my ear is throbbing. It's been going on for about 4 days now but not ever this bad. I've been taking Advil and Motrin but. Nothing seems to work I've used the Claires ear solution and sea salt even alcohol/peroxide and neosporin. Nothing works please help the pain is in my ear an sort of feels like in my jaw too.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.
Hello Nicole,

I am sorry for your pain.

Do you swelling, redness, tenderness, fever?
Did you consult a doctor?
Are you diabetic?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have swelling tenderness and redness. I have not contacted a doctor yet but I probably will tomorrow I am not diabetic.
Nicole,

Your symptoms do suggest an infection (termed as cellulitis). This may need a course of antibiotic and occasionally a needle aspiration, so infected fluid can be drained out. You may continue with Advil. Also apply ice compresses. Application of Betadine solution (available without prescription), thrice a day may help in controlling the infection. Piercing removal too may help in pain and prevent the spread of infection. If your symptoms are severe; going to an urgent care clinic or ER would be recommended. Occasionally piercing has to be removed by a doctor or nurse if pain and swelling are significant and you are unable to do it on your own.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. Please note you are rating my help and not the web site or the solution; only my help. If you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the Reply To Expert or Continue Conversation button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,