Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

hey i was in the er for the last 2 days for some shortness

hey i was in the er for the last 2 days for some shortness of breath and lightheadedness they did a ct scan of my chest with contrast and also a mri of my brain to check my nerological stuff the reason they admited me was on my ekg the noted i had q waves in lead 2,3 and avf with a slightly larger q wave in lead 3 ... all my blood work and scans came back normal i also had a neculear stress test and ultra sound of my heart by a cardioligest a month they realsed me saying the abnormal ekg was nothing to worry about that this may all be anxiety although while i was in the hospital i never saw a cardioligest ...i just dont feel ok with know i had a abnormal ekg the doctor did say he compared my ekg from last night to the one i had at cardioligest and there was no there anything to worry about or a test i should ask for also what the abnormal ekg mean

As you mentioned, Q waves in lead 2, 3 and aVf is considered as abnormal; but this abnormality has to be substantiated by the ultrasound of the heart and nuclear stress test. If later two investigations were normal and your one month previous and present EKG are similar; your symptoms are unlikely to be due to heart issue.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. Please note you are rating my help and not the web site or the solution; only my help. If you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the Reply To Expert or Continue Conversation button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So your saying because I had all the work up done on my heart a month ago then it's nothing to worry about ? So what would still cause the abnormal EKG ?

Yes there is nothing to worry about. An EKG change like your's, if show normal septum of the heart on ultrasound (echocardiography); this abnormal finding is not considered as significant. Please remember; a solitary investigations is rarely a diagnostic tool. It has to corroborate with following for a diagnostic conclusion;

1) clinical signs and symptoms,
2) other specific tests and medical imaging,
3) heart scan / ultrasound
4) stress test.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So since the stress test , ct scan, ultra sound all came back normal then I should be fine despite the abnormal EKG so basically a EKG is useless and can only suggest more testing to diagnose the problem ? So in my case all came back normal and no need to worry

All investigations have their own sensitivity and specificity (called as false positive EKG). In your case; EKG here is non specific and less sensitive for the diagnosis as the changes seen were not corroborated by the other investigations.