Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
62535071

Positive veinous blood test, then negative finger prick

I am pregnant (3rd pregnancy) and got regular prenatal testing. My blood serum HIV 1/0/2 ABS index and qual test came positive (8.35) and repeatedly reactive. Then a couple of days later I had a finger prick rapid HIV tes which came negative. I am very low risk. What does this mean? Can the first test be a false positive if the subsequent rapid whole blood test was negative? Or by all means a Western blot would be the final confirmation?

Nurse72 : The finger stick rapid response tests are at greater risk for false negatives. You should however repeat the venous blood test for confirmation.
Nurse72 : A repeat western blot would be confirmative
Nurse72 : You never know if tubes got mixed up at the lab. You should repeat
Nurse72 : With these conflicting results you have the right to request a repeat for confirmation.
Nurse72 : Best if luck
Nurse72 : Please contact me if you have questions or need clarification
Nurse72 : Nurse72
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I am repeating everything of course, the rapid test and I will have the Western Blot as well. But what is your opinion about the general rate of false positives ELISA in multipara women?
The multipara factor really doesn't come into the equation. I don't have updated facts about the false positive rate but I'm aware it can happen. I also believe human error is a factor to consider. The lab may have mixed up a tube of blood. Sad to say but this does happen, rarely but it does.