Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

my ana is 1:1280. 3 months and 6 months ago it was 1:640.

my ana is 1:1280. 3 months and 6 months ago it was 1:640. i had a severe cellulitis reaction to avonex in Jan 2012. Along with the cellulitis I had significant pain and swelling in my joints especially hands and fingers. i was on oral steroids for several weeks tll the symptoms subsided. i have minor residual discomfort in knees and thumbs...all my lab tests are currently negative (ordered by rheumie).....gettin nervous
Greetings Nancy.

An high or positive result of ANA or increasing ANA alone does not confirm a disease. It is a corroborative evidence which compliments;

1) clinical signs and symptoms,
2) other specific antibody tests,
3) histopathologic report and
4) x-ray findings.

In other words, since your other investigations are normal; ANA alone would not point to any specific connective tissue disorder / autoimmune disease. Rarely, a diagnosis can be established just based on a solitary investigation; but this is not true with ANA alone. Antinuclear antibody (ANA) tests identify antibodies present in blood; most of these antibodies are IgG. Since all of your symptoms have gradually subsided; a tentative diagnosis of drug-induced lupus erythematosus would be the possibility with your previous manifestations. With a steroid treatment; this has resolved those symptoms. The lingering antibodies showing as ANA also are likely to gradually decrease and disappear in next 2-3 years. Any joint inflammation (even due to fracture shoulder joint as in your case, may contribute in increase of ANA with your medical history).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. Please note you are rating my help and not the web site or the solution; only my help. If you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the Reply To Expert or Continue Conversation button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you SO much!!!! My mind is now less likely to go places it ought not!! I appreciate you very much!! :)
You are very welcome, Nancy.

Good luck.