Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Question: Im 31 years old and last week I went in for my

I'm 31 years old and last week I went in for my yearly and my doctor drops a bomb on me and tell me I tested postive for Chlamydia. It came as a huge shock because ive been married for 9 years and been with with the same man for 13 years. he swears he has been faithful and i know i have been too. He wants to get rechecked thinks it might be a mistake. Though when i was younger and stupid my first boyfriend gave me chlamydia but i got it treated and have had clear papsmear since. my husband and i have two children together and all my results have been clear till now. My question is can there be posibilitiy that it stayed in my system dormant and undictected till now?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.

How exactly did you test positive?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well they did a papsmear, took urine and blood. It had been 3 years since I went had done a papsmear (since the birth of our son) so i guess he wanted to be thorough. The Doctor also found i have a fibrosis tumor and a yeast infection. I was wondering if that can give false postive?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
But just to be sure here--you actually had a culture done that showed Chlamydia?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it came back positive for Chlamydia. My doctor said we could do another culture.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--I think that you need a second test--the nucleic acid amplification test--since I think there's a very good chance your first test was a false positive. While women can be chlamydia carriers without any overt symptoms of the infection, it would be unlikely for you to go so many years without having some signs. If the second test is positive, then either you have been a carrier, or--and I only mention this because I have to professionally--your husband transmitted the infection to you. For completeness' sake, your husband should also be screened.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. But just to be clear, if the second test comes back positive and I know I have been faithful then its got to be him?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, that would be my first conclusion. It would be very rare for either of you to have been a carrier and not have infected the other somewhere down the line, so, unless he is a carrier and you are just now getting infected, then, yes, he most likely has had another partner recently.