Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I just had a dizzy spell where I nearly passed out. I got up,

I just had a dizzy spell where I nearly passed out. I got up, and what began as a head rush ended with an upset stomach and me nearly blacking out. I made it to a chair just in time. I don't know if this is related, but for the last few weeks, I have been feeling tired, even though I sleep all night, headachy, and stiff in the joints. My back has been killing me. What is going on?

First off, has anything like this ever happened before? What exactly was going on when you had the near fainting episode?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I fainted once before, but I don't remember why. It was a few years ago. Before I nearly fainted, I was just getting up from the sofa and going to the kitchen.
And before you got up, you were feeling fine--nothing like abdominal cramps or the urge to go to the bathroom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. I was just feeling tired. I was watching television.
OK. Most likely this was a vasovagal reaction--the vagus nerve is stimulated and it slows the heart rate and lowers the blood pressure. It can happen, for example, when someone nearly faints at the sight of blood. By itself, it isn't significant but before one can just say that's what happened, one has to consider a cardiac arrythmia or something called syncope which is a sudden fainting spell from a cardiac condition like aortic stenosis. All that said, this could be part of the other symptoms you mentioned. You could be anemic, have a thyroid condition, or even a problem with low cortisol levels. BotXXXXX XXXXXne here--you need to see a doctor as soon as possible to get all the possibilities evaluated.