Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

What does it mean if my earwax has turned an olive green c

What does it mean if my earwax has turned an olive green color?

Is there any other symptom? Pain or smell? When did you notice it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Severe pain, along with a severe headache. But no smell

Thank you for the input.

Normal color of the ear wax varies widely. This can be light to dark, brown to orange. With your symptoms, it sound like an infection of the ear canal. I would advise to get an examination by doctor. Antibiotics can be necessary in case of bacterial infection. Analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or naproxen can be taken for pain if there is no contraindication.You need to take it after meal to avoid gastric irritation. You can also apply heat or warm compress.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask. Please rate my answer as EXCELLENT / GOOD SERVICE when you are satisfied. If you think poor or bad service, then please continue conversation by using REPLY button without rating the answer. This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was told by a paramedic that it could be meningitis. My ear wax has always been the same color, like a burnt orange. Now, just noticed about an hour or 2 ago, it is green. Along with a migraine headache, some eye pain, and ear pain so severe I can't touch the left side of my face. I have had ear infections before, but nothing like this. I have never had any kind of ear pain this severe. The ear pain started yesterday along with the migraine. The eye pain started tonight.

Do you have frequent migraine attacks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have you been diagnosed with migraine? Is there any swelling? rash or redness?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had migraines on and off for a long time, but never any reason behind them. I haven't had one in a long time, but this one just feels different. My left ear and a lil bit of that side of my face is swollen and red, but no rash that I see. But my skin, all over is pretty itchy. I had a bad rash on my right arm a few days ago.
Migraine can cause pain on one side of head. Swelling, redness, itching is uncommon with it. Redness, itching can come from allergy. In some cases, shingles can cause severe pain, sensitivity of the skin but is uncommon at your age. Meningitis usually cause neck stiffness, headache, sensitivity to light etc. In case of infection of inner parts of the ear, meninges may be affected. If the pain is severe, you need to take an urgent examination in ER or urgent care.