Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

History: My husband developed a blood clot from ankle to thigh.

History: My husband developed a blood clot from ankle to thigh. He's been on Coumadin for a year. Now he'd like to try Nattokinase, but his local doctor wants him to stay on Coumadin, fearing my husband might develop another blood clot.

My husband is now wearing elastic stockings and is avoiding crossing his legs. He has a sit-down job, so is consciously walking every 15 minutes or so.

Question: Could he safely transition to Nattokinase?

I'm a nurse (R.N.) so was the first one to "diagnose" his blood clot. I can monitor his vital signs, and do a head-to-toe visual assessment as needed.
It is my pleasure to help you today
I am sure you can monitor him and that you are very good nurse however More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of nattokinase
the standard that has hundreds of papers of research on it is warfarin
I would not recommend the transition to nattokinase you do not want to try unproven medications on your husband

Hope he gets better soon

Any questions let me know
if I was able to help you your (EXCELLENT) rating is very important to me so I would get compensated for my time and answer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the side effects of coumadin as compared with Nattokinase?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nattokinase has been researched in Japan, and has a lot of information posted on the web. Therefore, is it really an unproven medication?

it is still not FDA approved in USA
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that I am not trying to be difficult, or argumentative. It was my understanding that I was contacting an M.D. who was an "integrative, wholistic" physician.

The FDA is, in my opinion, ONE method of evaluating--not the only one. There are plenty of medications that have been approved that have later been removed from the shelves, due to poor results. Although I am a R.N., I am also skeptical of a lot that happens in medicine. Money, politics, and one-track only thinking seem to dominate!

If my assumption that you were a wholistic, integrative medicine physician is incorrect, then I can understand your answer. It does not, however, really answer my questions regarding a safe, more natural way to dissolve my husband's original blood clot, and safe, natural ways to prevent further ones.
I am not integrative medicine physician but I can opt out so another physician may help you
best of luck to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Would you kindly refer my questions to an integrative, holistic physician?

Thank you again.
Hello, I read your post. Can I ask why your husband wants to discontinue the Coumadin and try the holistic approach?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From a year's worth of coumadin, all he's "gained" is sores on his legs that take months to heal. Even a band-aid applied over a scratch has left its imprint on his leg. (We can see the entire shape of the band-aid in red petechia. How much longer should he continue to take rat poison (because that's what coumadin is--warfarin.

The blood clot formed over a year ago, and has not receded a bit. His leg is still edematous and as mentioned, slow to heal even a minor scratch.

We received a brochure in the mail advertising nattokinase. Then we researched on the web, and learned a lot more than was in the brochure. But we cannot find any information about how to transition from Coumadin to Nattokinase.

My husband's local M.D. sings the same song as all apparently most M.D's sing--it's not FDA approved. So? It's been used in this country for some time (I don't know how long) and in Japan for centuries. Surely there is someone who can guide the transitioning from Coumadin to NAttokinase?????

If you can't please be honest and tell me so, so I won't waste more of your time or mine.

My goodness! i'm sorry to hear about this problem. You may have trouble finding an MD to agree to this. During this transition it could potentially be extremely dangerous if the treatment doesn't work. If the Nattokinase works in the same way who's to say that this treatment isn't going to give the same side effects. Have they considered any surgical intervention to remove this clot? Why are they letting him walk around with it so long? If they can remove it then he may not need to continue the coumadin if his clotting times are normal? I'm confused about his treatment
Their is a doctor on here named Dr. Owen. He is a family MD with expertise in holistic medicine. I will try to find him and see if he can consult with you here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Someone else may have answered, but there was a power failure that severed the web connection.

I"m looking for a "wholistic integrative medicine" person to help evaluate the process of weaning off Coumadin and start taking Nattokinase.

I've already been told that the FDA does not approve Nattokinase, so don't tell me that again when many doctors (unlisted!) in the USA, and scores of doctors in Japan have safely used Nattokinase for years.
Hello JACustomer,

None of us here can tell you that a product that has not been approved by the FDA is safe or effective; it has not been tested or shown to work for the condition for which it is being used. WebMD says there is "insufficient evidence" for nattokinase's effectiveness.

The reference site RxList, which categorizes drugs and supplements also says the same about nattokinase:

However I do have an alternative to the coumadin, which has caused problems for your husband, which you can discuss with your doctor. Research has shown that aspirin is pretty much as effective as coumadin when it comes to preventing blood clots.

Here is a WebMD article on aspirins efficacy on blood clots within the brain:

Here is another article regarding aspirin vs. coumadin:

The downside with aspirin, as I am sure you know as you are a nurse yourself, is that it is incredibly abrasive to the stomach.

I hope that helped,
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness