Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

MEDICAL QUESTION....ON MYSTERY DIAGANOSIS, SEVERAL MONTHS AGO,

MEDICAL QUESTION....ON MYSTERY DIAGANOSIS, SEVERAL MONTHS AGO, I SAW A DISEASE THAT CAUSED FACIAL WRINKLS LIKE A SHAR PEI DOG, I DON'T REMEMBER THE OTHER SYMTOMS, JUST THE WRINKLES, AFTER TREATMENT THEY WENT AWAY....MY HUSBAND IS EXHIBITING SOME OF THESE TYPE WRINKLES AND I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING OUT OUT IT
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

I believe this was a type of skin cancer that you saw on Mystery Diagnosis (on the Discovery Channel). Your husband should see a Dermatologist.

I found a list of all the Mystery Diagnosis television shows, so will be back shortly to give you more details.

So I do ask that you do not rate me just yet (unless it is a 5) because I will be right back here to reply to you with the complete details.

My aim is to get a rating of 5 (Great service) for every question. IF you need more information, just reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I'll be happy to continue further to do everything I can to provide you with great service.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
Ok,

This was a bit harder than I thought it would be!

Did the man in the TV episode have episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) along with the severely wrinkled face? If so, see if this also sounds like what he had:

"the patient may have a "lion mask" look. Characterized by deep wrinkles in the face around the mouth and chin area, pockets of loose flesh under and around the eye area having the resemblance of a lion."

This is a description of Hashimoto's throiditis, which is an autoimmune disease.

There are usually other symptoms, blood sugar swings, mood swings, fatigue (may have periods of hyperactivity or anxiety)

This disease is diagnosed by detecting elevated levels of Anti-TPO antibodies in the serum. (This is a simple blood test)

Treatment is thyroid hormone replacement medication such as levothyroxine (synthroid) or desiccated thyroid extract. The treatment is taken for the rest of the patient's life.

Your doctor could see his regular general physician from this, although if found to have this disorder he would likely be referred to an Endocrinologist.

Please reply to me if this does not sound like the disease you saw on the show, but from what I could find, so far, I believe this might be what you are speaking of. I have no problem looking into this further if needed.

As noted above, my aim is to get a rating of 5 (Great service) for every question. IF you need more information, just reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I'll be happy to continue further to do everything I can to provide you with great service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the wrinkles i noticed are on the forehead.and cheeks..altho the lion mask could be right....they are fat wrinkles and he is not a fat guy
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
Well, there is going to be variation, and not all would fit the exact picture -- Also the information I have says that the Lion Face is a late development, so if he were to have this condition, then it may not look quite as bad as the 'full blown' disorder.

That the rest of the body is normal, and it appears to be fat like, does point to either an endocrine problem (a problem which involves the endocrine hormones, of which the thyroid is one).

Can you get your husband to go to a doctor for evaluation and blood tests? If you think your husband would be offended if you told him your suspicions, you could call the doctor's office ahead of time and explain what you would like evaluated and the reason for this. Otherwise, if the doctor has not seen your husband before, he/she might think that his face typically looks like this.

Let me know your thoughts.

Do you remember if the person on the TV show had hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Here are the other conditions that were on this episode:

"Three unusual cases include a man whose head is bent over so that it's stuck on his shoulder; a man with hypoglycemia whose face is severely wrinkled; and a man experiencing extreme vertigo and vomiting."

Does this sound like the episode you saw?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I truly don't remember anything from the tv episode but the shar pei wrinkles...he will do immediately to the doctor....his mom has had cancer and he worries...which is why i didn't know if I should say anything....do we need to ask for specific blood tests? We both had blood tests at the Health Fair and they were fine
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

I'm glad to hear that he will go to the doctor.

The test for hashomoto's thyroiditis is the Anti-TPO antibodies (This is a simple blood test)

I was mistaken, in that in my first post to you, I thought the condition might be due to a type of cancer, now that seems less likely (in other words, I don't think this is caused by cancer)

The blood test above is not one that is done at health fairs. They usually check things like CBC, lipids and blood sugar.

Besides checking for Anti-TPO antibodies he should have thyroid studies (blood tests).

The doctor will usually check for many more things, such as liver function, kidney function, and more. These things can rule out many disorders. It is much more thorough than a health fair, although it is nice to know that the things checked for at the health fair were ok.

Please feel free to reply if you have any more questions or concerns.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS