Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

IF I CONTRACTED HIV 5-6 YEARS AGO WOULD IT SHOW UP IN A RECENT

IF I CONTRACTED HIV 5-6 YEARS AGO WOULD IT SHOW UP IN A RECENT CBC TEST. IF SO WHAT WOULD BE ABNORMAL?
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you have a positive HIV test?
Why do you think a CBC test would show HIV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no- i read somewhere that the cbc would show abnormality after 5-6 yaers
But do you have or have you done an HIV test?
What were you told about the CBC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i havent. BUT DOCTOR SAYS CBC IS FINE

my CBC SHOWS TOTAL WBC 5.3 10*9/L

WHITE DIFF

NEUTROPHIL - 2.9

LYMPH 1.8

MONO 0.5

EOSINOPHIL 0.1

BASO 0.0

Have you been told this is normal or abnormal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NORMAL
Okay-
Well your CBC does look very normal, and usually if you had HIV by now, especially from an infection that 'might' have occurred 5 to 6 years ago, might have other infections too since the HIV would decrease your immunity so you might see elevations in possily your WBC, your lymphocytes and sometimes a neutrophil elevation..
But, If you are concerned, do a HIV blood test - at this point it would be accurate, because a HIV test is usually positive within months after exposure, and for you it is now 5 to 6 years later - so given the Normal CBC, more than likely you do NOT have HIV.

I hope this helps
Please, if you have more questions, please ask

Please click on a Positive rating such as GREAT/ Excellent Service (Smile faces) - please do Not click on a negative rating (the bottom 2 ratings - this will hurt).

And, please if you have more questions, please ask – just click on Reply

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CAN I ASK ONE MORE THING- MY RBC WAS 5.33 OUT OF A RANGE OF 3.00 - 5.00. IT SCARED ME A LITTLE WHAT DOES THIS MEAN
That is okay - many times blood tests are out of the range of the so called normal - the 5.33 you have is okay - and for many people having a little more RBC's is just normal - this just means you have more oxygen carrying capacity - the RBC content has nothing to do with an infection.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FORGOT TO MENTION THIS CBC WAS A VERY RECENT ONE. BUT I ALSO HAVE ONE GOING BACK A YEAR WHICH IS AS FOLLOWS

TOTAL WBC 5.1

DIFF

NEUTRO - 2.9

LYMPH -1.7

MONO 0,4

EOSO 0.1

BASO 0.O

THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO CHANGE

IS THIS A GOOD SIGN REGARDING HIV? I HAVE NO SYMPTOMS A SUCH JUST A BIT TIRED DUE TO STRESS

This is a very normal CBC - and the absolute ONLY way to know if you have HIV is to get a HIV - there is absolutely no other way. YOUR CBC is normal, absolutely normal - no concerns here.

Please I have been helping you with your questions and it would really be appreciated if you click on a Positive Rating/ feedback...

I hope this helps