Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Two weeks ago I took about 200mg of 6apb for depression. I

Two weeks ago I took about 200mg of 6apb for depression. I continue to have serotonergic effects such as exaggerated movements in the peripheral vision, sense of well-being, and pleasureable goosebumps in response to pleasant experiences (such as cookies and milk or a warm shower). According to my cuff I also seem to have lowered blood pressure (down to 120/80 from 140/95), but it is accompanied by dizziness when standing up too quickly as well as shortness of breath in hot and humid conditions. How long will these symptoms last?
Have you discontinued the medication? If so how long ago?
This may be a reaction to your medication known as tardive dyskinesia. You need to alert your doctor about these symptoms right away. Neuroleptic drugs, tranquilizers or anti-psychotic drugs are medicines that cause tardive dyskinesia which is the abnormal movement of a certain body part.  20% of the population who have taken anti-psychosis drugs are experiencing TD. After discontinuing the drug symptoms can last for months and in some cases it's permanent. It's important to talk to your doctor about this since it may be in your benefit to continue the drug at the lowest safe dose.

I saw your question and double checked the information available on this drug, since it was not an antidepressant or antipsychotic that I had ever heard of.

In fact, it turns out that 6-APB is a 'designer drug' and it has not been evaluated by the FDA, in other words, there have not been clinical trials studying the effects of this chemical. It is thought to be chemically similar to amphetamines and methylendioxy compounds (such as MDA or 'ecstacy') and is thought to likely act as a reuptake inhibitor of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

So as long as you are not taking any more of this substance, you are likely to experience a gradual decline of any symptoms you are over time, but since this is not an approved medication there is no clinical data on the pharmokinetics of this substance, and there is currently no way to know for sure how long you will have the effects that you are experiencing.

Regarding your blood pressure and your dizziness - people do sometimes tend to get dehydrated when taking substances in this class and as well people tend to get dehydrated in the summer more frequently. So, if you are not, make sure you are drinking enough fluids.

Feel free to provide an update on your blood pressure and situation, especially if there are continued abnormalities.

There are medications that could be prescribed to you to help if side effects remain uncomfortable. There are also medications that have been studied and the safety along with side effects are well documented, that have been shown in clinical trials to help the symptoms of depression that you might want to consider.

Again, please do reply if you have further questions. Since you have had two different experts with two different answers to your question, when you do reply, please address whether you would like to continue with me, Susan Ivy, or Nurse 72.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS