Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

Why do my armpits itch and what can I do to stop it?

The itching of armpits occurs due to a variety of causes.These include allergy to cosmetics like Deoderants,talcs,detergents and soaps,allergic dermatitis due physical maceration and chaffing of skin due to tight clothes,fungal infections,bacterial infections of the hair follicles and skin,local moisture and heat along with sweat may also cause a heat rash in the area.Avoid cosmetics in the area and wear loose clothing.Application of lactocalamine lotion,use of mild steroid creams like hydrocortisone 1% in case of allergy or dermatitis,antifungal drugs orally and locally or antibiotics may be required if there is a bacterial infection.You may need to see your doctor/Dermatologist if the problem persists.kin diseases like Psoriaisis,Intertrigo,Suppurative hidranitis,Atopic Dermatitis also need to be ruled out.Specific therapy directed at the disease diagnosed will help.