Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have random bruises show up on my upper thighs occassionaly.

I have random bruises show up on my upper thighs occassionaly. A couple of days ago a deep purple bruise showed up on my upper torso/waist area. These
bruises usually have smalller ones show up around them and then they fade and dissappear. Are these capillary breaks?
Thanks for the question.
Please provide some more information regarding your question so i help you in every aspect.
Do you have any history of Hypertension,diabetes,etc?
Associated pain,swelling in thighs?
Have you seen a doctor?
Duration of symptoms?
Are you taking any medications?

Since you requested me, I am answering you.

Ecchymoses bruising usually develop with or without noticeable trauma and do not spread into deeper tissues. This can occur due to the structural abnormalities of the small blood vessels called as capillaries, which break even with the slightest of the injury (as you mentioned). This can occur due to the age, scurvy, steroid-induced purpura, small vessel vasculitis, and purpura associated with the presence of paraproteins. Aspirin may also be responsible which can increase the bleeding time. The diagnosis is based on the investigations. Though, with the possible exception of a prolonged bleeding time, screening tests are usually normal in patients with bleeding disorders related to vascular abnormalities (ecchymoses / bruising). Taking Vitamin C or eating citrus fruits or fresh juices may help.

The investigations done are;

1) platelet count,

2) bleeding time (BT),

3) prothrombin time (PT),

4) activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT),

5) thrombin time (TT)

6) peripheral blood smear,

7) platelet aggregation in response to ADP, epinephrine, collagen, and ristocetin;

8) platelet release assays,

9) coagulation factor assays,

10) assessment of factor XIII activity via clot solubility testing

11) Tests of fibrinolysis; measurement of fibrin split products and D-dimer levels.

Your PCP can get them done. An initial screening can be done by the first 5 or 6 tests which would give very definitive clue to the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will see my doc on friday. The left foot/ankle swelling has been for a month or so. Is it possible

my blood pressure meds are not working on my

fluid buildup?I was taking an 80mg aspirin but I

stopped. Should I continue to take them?

You may continue to take the aspirin. Usually a low dose aspirin is the not the sole culprit for the bruising. The blood pressure medicines may take occasionally 6-8 weeks to show the effect on the fluid built up. The left foot ankle swelling would also need an ultrasound of the leg veins for the work up.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun