Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

how can i get rid of old insect bites marks?

Hello JACustomer,

I hope I can help here, but I am afraid I do not have much that is positive to say. If you have old scars from insect bites or anything else, there is not that much that can be done that is simple. Over time, scars do fade. When scars and marks are relatively new, applying Vitamin E oil on them has been proven to reduce the appearance of scarring; but once the scar is old and established, that doesn't help as much....if at all. I have found Vitamin E oil to be quite effective. The best vitamin E oil to use for this (I find) is directly from the Vitamin E capsule, break it and spread the oil on a wound that has healed clean and is not infected, but has a scar which you wish to reduce.

Make up and concealers can also be used...but I dont believe you wish that as an option but for the sake of completeness I offer it.

If you wish to go more complex routes, dermatologists may be able to help. There are procedures that can reduce the amount of scar tissue (dermabrasion), laser resurfacing (kind of like a reverse tattoo) and injectable fillers and bleaching creams can make a sunken scar look less noticeable. I realize your question was about scars or marks left from insect bites, but this same information applies.

Here is some information on this issue: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/wound-care-10/reducing-scars?page=1

If these marks truly distress you, my advice here is to make an appointment with a dermatologist and see what procedures can be done to lessen them.

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan