Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

My period was 10 days late and when I started, there was a

Customer Question

My period was 10 days late and when I started, there was a great deal of pain with extremely heavy bleeding and what seemed to be clotting. The bleeding lasted about 5 days, stopped for 1 and started again, but lightly. Now I do not seem to ge having a flow, but when I have a bowel movement, there seems to be a little pink tinged blood and some brown blood comfrom my vagina when I wipe. Does this indicate that I was pregnant and miscarried? Prior to my having beeen on birth control, I had very irregular, somewhat heavy periods. I have been off the pill for a year now and wasn't sure if this is a period issue or a miscarriage. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Did you do a pregnancy test?

Dr. Owen :

When was your period actually due/

Dr. Owen :

Are you trying to get pregnant?

Dr. Owen :

Also, please tell me your height and weight?

Dr. Owen :

And, do you have any thyroid condition such as Hypothyroidism (low thyroid)?

Dr. Owen :

And, what medications, pills, etc do you use?

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Are you there

Dr. Owen :

I am here waiting to help you

Customer:

I am sorry to only now be responding. I was out of country and access was spotty at best.

Dr. Owen :

That is fine - have you done a pregnancy test?

Dr. Owen :

Where are you now - what country?

Dr. Owen :

Are you still bleeding - ?

Dr. Owen :

Have you been trying to get pregnant?

Dr. Owen :

ARe you there?

Customer:

I am 5ft 6 in tall and weigh 178lbs. We have been trying to get pregnant for almost a year. I took a pregnancy test that came back negative. Last year I was found to have thyroid cancer, but it was isolated and removed along with my thyroid gland. I now take Synthroid .137 each morning. I am also taking Centrum prenatal vitamins as well as 500mg of Vitamin C, chromium picolinate, a 50,000 IU Vitamin D pill once a week, and CoQ 10

Dr. Owen :

Is your thryoid level normal?

Dr. Owen :

When did you do the pregnancy test - after the bleeding was finished?

Customer:

yes, I just had my one year check up with my endocrinologist.

Customer:

I took the pregnancy test before I began to bleed as I was due to start 10 days before I did.

Customer:

I am still bleeding slightly as if at the end of a cycle. I had a full on period, which was terrible with big clots and extremely heavy bleeding as well as cramping.

Dr. Owen :

Okay - since the pregnancy test was not positive prior to the bleeding, then you were not pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

So, this bleeding if you are still bleeding can be due to a thyroid condition - but for YOU since your thyroid level is normal, it is unlikely to be a thyroid.

Dr. Owen :

So, other reasons this could be due to a PCOS problem - polycystic ovarian syndrome problem

Dr. Owen :

And, this could also be due to a Thrombophilia problem - these are the blood clotting disorder problems and there are many of them.

Dr. Owen :

would you like me to tell you what you need to do since you have been trying for a year to get pregnant/

Dr. Owen :

?

Customer:

The cycle seemed to run its course and stopped for a day, then began again. It eased off once again so that I thought it had stopped again, but I was bleeding vaginally when I had a bowel movement. Then it seemed as though I started a cycle once again. At this point, it is a very slight flow, almost as if another cycle is ending.

Dr. Owen :

So this could be a PCOS problem or a thrombophilia problem since your thyroid is normal now.

Dr. Owen :

so, what you need to do is to get some tests from an ob/gyn.

Customer:

I am going to call my ob/gyn as I had very irregular and heavy periods before I was put on birth control. I am wondering if this is my body going back to its old "habit" since I have now been off the birth control for a year. My biggest concern is that I have never bled vaginally during a bowel movement other than at the beginning of my period. As I have already had one type of cancer and cancer runs rampant in my family, my concern is cervical or uterine cancer and I would rather get this in check if this is a possibility.

Dr. Owen :

You should get a pelvic ultrasound to look at the ovaries and uterus.

Dr. Owen :

Also looking INSIDE the uterus with a camera which is called a hysteroscopy should be done too to check for possible polyps which can cause irregular bleeding.

Customer:

I had my annual exam in October and all seemed normal. Pap smear was negative.

Dr. Owen :

I assumed your PAP is normal - so you do not have cervical cancer.

Dr. Owen :

also while you do these checks you will also be checked for any cancer - but Honestly unlikely this is a cancer.

Customer:

I realize that time can certainly change things so hopefully, I can get in to see her ASAP. Thank you for all your help. As I was in the Bahamas, I wanted to see what I could find here.

Dr. Owen :

and, then you should have blood clotting blood tests such as platelets, protein c, protein s, homecysteine and many others.

Customer:

Thank you once again. I will do so.

Dr. Owen :

Plus I would also recommend blood tests such as testosterone, insulin levels and DHEA-S, Estradiol, FSH, and LH

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps
Please, if you have more questions, please ask

Please click on a Positive rating such as GREAT/ Excellent Service (Smile faces) - please do Not click on a negative rating (the bottom 2 ratings - this will hurt).

And, please if you have more questions, please ask – just click on Reply

Dr. Owen :

Please click on GREAT/ Excellent Service before you leave - this would help for me answering you back immediately upon you getting back online to a computer.

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

I think this has covered it. You were more than helpful.

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Please click on GREAT or Excellent Service - thank you

Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate