Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am 28 years old and about three weeks ago I felt a lump in

Customer Question

I am 28 years old and about three weeks ago I felt a lump in my left breast (which is bigger in size compared with the right one). I went to the doctor, after the examination, he said it is a fiber cyst. The following days (after the examination), I felt an intense pain, and it remained for days(maybe, because the doctor touched for the examining), the lump was also firmer (before that, it was movable and liquid), I went to another doctor, he examined and sent me to an ultra sound examination. It said it was fibroadenoma. The doctor affirmed the result. I had the pain for a couple of days but it was decreased. However, with my period, it came again. Today's the fifth(last) day of my period and I am feeling the pain and I can also feel a firm thing in my armpit and even my arm hurts. I'm worried… Thanks for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

"My answer is below. Please only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided. If you feel the need to click "helped a little" or "I expected more" please stop because this will result in a negative mark on my feedback record. Instead, please simply reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek."

A pain and lump in breast with an appearance of firmness in armpit is likely due to infection in the breast with lymph node enlargement (secondary to infection). You need an examination by your doctor immediately who may prescribe you a course of antibiotics. You may also need following investigations;

1) Mammography
2) Magnetic resonance mammography
3) Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC); this is putting a needle in the lump and sending the aspirate for the cell examination under the microscope. That would confirm the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun