Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I have been light headed for two or three weeks. I also (seem)

Customer Question

I have been light headed for two or three weeks. I also (seem) to have TMJ for several months (but the doctor wasn't interested in that and saw no connection). I am a 70-year-old white female and I have drinking 2 mixed drinks for a least the last 30 years. The doctor says that the alcohol may account for the light-headedness. I had blood tests two weeks ago: my MCV was 99.8, my MCH was 34.3 and my "mono #" was 0.6.
I usually have a subnormal temperature, but last night it was 100.7 (right now, at 2:45 pm it is 99.7). I walk in the woods behind my house 5 days a week and have pulled ticks off me, although always before they puncture the skin.
Is it possible that I have Lyme disease?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

why do you think you have lyme disease - ?

Dr. Owen :

Have you ever been bitten by a tick?

Dr. Owen :

I see you have been bit by ticks ...

Dr. Owen :

Have you ever had the 'bulls' eye reaction on your skin in any of the areas where you would have had a tick bite.?

Customer:

No

Dr. Owen :

when did you have these ticks on you and then how many days later did your symptoms start?

Customer:

Hard to tell. There have been ticks in our fields all spring and I've probably had ticks on me two or three times a month.

Dr. Owen :

Do you live in an area of the US where the ticks have lyme such as the east coast of the US?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Owen :

You know - it would be a good call to just to do a Lyme blood titer, just to be sure.

Dr. Owen :

Your other symptoms could just be due to a viral syndrome - a normal viral infection - nothing really major.

Dr. Owen :

But, for 2 to 3 weeks of this light headedness and if constant - this does need to be further evaluated to make sure that nothing else is going on - at the age of 70 you could have decreased blood supply to the head if your carotid arteries are not supplying an adequate amount of blood.