Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I just found our that years ago when I had surgery on a hernia

I just found our that years ago when I had surgery on a hernia that they cut one of the lubes that Carries sperm from a to b idk all that much about this so I wonder is it repairable do people get things likethis fixed often or with success ?

Thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

If one of the tubes, which are called the vas deferens (it carries sperm from the testicle to the ejaculatory duct) was cut, this would not typically effect your fertility. It is very simple to have this tested, if you are concerned. You would ask your doctor for a semen analysis. This is done frequently, usually when a man and women are getting evaluated for fertility, but could be done, even if this is not something you are trying to achieve right at the moment (a pregnancy) to relieve your concern.

If you were found to have an issue, such as an extremely low sperm count, then repair of the tube, the vas deferens could be evaluated. But, the surgery is not always successful.

But again, as long as one testes and vas deferens in functioning well this should not be a problem for you at all.

Please follow up with a reply if you still have questions or need additional information about this.

Hi Buck,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Have you seen a doctor? A urologist could provide you with an evaluation of your semen, and with your history, you should not be embarressed at all to ask for this evaluation (if you even are)

Let me know if you have any further questions,
Susan Ivy, BSN, MSN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm working on getting home i'm a truck driver so it takes a bit for me to get home so it had to be a urologist not just the regular Dr cause most specialists are referral only right ?
I see, as a truck driver you probably have to wait until you have a few days off, since you are probably far away from home most of the time. That must be hard, as far as for taking care of your health.

Your general doctor may be able to do the semen analysis in the office. Or they might have to set up a different appointment (rather than do it the day you arrive) or may ask you to brng a sample in. You will have to obtain a sample you see, of your semen, and it will need to be iced until it gets to the lab for analysis. So this is why your general doctor may not be able to do one right as you go in to visit, because they may not have a room set up for this. So they may either give you instructions to return with the sample, or to come back another day, or may just refer you to a urologist.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

As far as whether you have to have a referal to see a urologist depends on your particular insurance plan. Probably most insurance companies do require you to have a referal, especially if it is an HMO or PPO. There is probably a number on your insurance card that you can call and ask them whether or not you need a referal for a urologist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ya how long should I be inactive before the test?
Good Morning!

Directions are usually to be inactive (no ejaculation) for at least 24 hours before obtaining a sample for a semen analysis test. You will be provided with instructions before the doctor orders the test, typically.

A little more information for you:
A temporary reduction in sperm production (low sperm count) can be caused by many things, such as extreme heat, insomnia, and performance pressure or stress. So if the first test comes back with a low count, it is typically verified with at least two more analyses. At least 2 to 4 weeks are recommended between each analysis.

Eating well, keeping well hydrated and sleeping well will improve test results. Poor nutrition and anemia can negatively affect your sperm count. Of course, smoking tobacco and recreational drug use can negatively influence the sperm count as well. Overheating of the scrotum (through tight underwear, warm baths or sauna) can reduce production of sperm too.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a great day!