Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have had pain while inhaling in my chest and neck for 3 days.

I have had pain while inhaling in my chest and neck for 3 days. I had a checkup this morning. EKG normal, lungs clear, bp 110/68.. Was told it was GERD, put on Prilosec.

Question, does this sound like GERD, with no burning?
And I was told to take Prilosec twice a day, but the instructions say before meals. Which is it?

P.S. Going up stairs does not bother me; taking a deep breath does.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you feel pain during deep breathing? Any acid reflux, throat discomfort, heartburn, cough? Any pain when you press in your chest? Is this pain radiating to any other area such as jaw, left arm/shoulder? How severe is your pain in 1 to 10 scale? Any other health problem such as high BP/cholesterol, or diabetes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
During deep inhaling, yes. And only then.
No throat discomfort, heartburn, cough. No pain when I press my chest. No pain to jaw or shoulder. As I said, BP this morning was 110/68. No diabetes (glucose is 91).. Cholestrol good (with simvastatin)
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you seem to have chest pain without any other associated symptoms. I don't think it is a typical presentation for heart related issues. Moreover, you have been evaluated and investigated for it without any major concern. Thus, it is reassuring that you are not dealing with any major health problem. Considering your age, heart related issues have to ruled out whenever there is chest pain, and your doctor has already done that. If this is a kind of pain that you have been experiencing off and on, then stress test can be considered, which may detect hidden heart issues such as angina. As per the current presentation, you don't have much symptoms.... chest discomfort during deep breathing could be associated with GERD, or costochondritis. You don't have to have full set of symptoms to be diagnosed with these problems as the presentation may vary from person to person. Sometimes people present with vague symptoms which is very hard to link with any condition. In that case, clinical presentation, physical exam, and test reports are correlated to make the final diagnosis. In your case, please follow your doctor's suggestion and go for follow-up visit. If you do not feel better or you develop severe chest pain, nausea, sweating, breathing difficulties, please consider ER visit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.