Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have drainage going down the back of my throat which is causing

I have drainage going down the back of my throat which is causing a sore throat and can't sleep. What can I take to stop the drainage?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today. I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long you have this drainage going back in throat?
Have you undergone any tests?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - I have no health concerns at all - I'm very healthy, exercise, eat right, etc. I've had no tests; this is a common thing but usually happens in the wintertime when it happens. I don't feel bad enought to go to the doctor, but I'm going on vacation in a couple of days, and I want my throat to feel better. It's sore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there?
Thanks for the info given.I had started working your question. Please stay online, I will post your answer in 10 minutes.However I will try my best to give you answer ASAP.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok - thanks. I've never done this before, so I wasn't sure how it works. I usually just take something over the counter and it dries me up - but I couldn't remember the ingredient I was looking for. Thank you. I'll be patient.
Dear XXXXXty
Thanks for the info given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described is suggestive of a condition called post nasal drip. It is the drainage of secretions from the nose or sinuses down the back of the throat.

Its most common causes are:Flu,allergies,cold,sinus infection or sinusitis.It is usually caused by an underlying rhinitis (inflammation of lining of the inside of your nose) and/or sinusitis (inflammation of the sinus cavities within the facial bones that surround your nose).

Antihistamines and decongestants,cromolyn and steroid (cortisone type) nasal sprays and other forms of steroids will provide dramatic relief.Antibiotics may be required accordingly for which you need to consult your doctor.

Till then you can use Afrin which is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.Charles

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I usually can just take a pill . . . like musinex or sudefed. Would that have the ingredients?
Dear XXXXXty
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Yes,you can take tab.Sudafed.It temporarily relieves nasal & sinus congestion and pressure.It contains pseudoephedrine which is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages.Do not take it for more then 5 days without your doctor's consultation.

Also you may need Transillumination test(shining a light through the sinuses) is used to look for sinus inflammation.Antibiotics may be prescribed by your doctor accordingly.Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

Hope this helped.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi Patty,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor for examination of sinus/post nasal drib?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles