Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

i have sleep insomnia. what is a quick home remedy to help

Customer Question

i have sleep insomnia. what is a quick home remedy to help my fall asleep?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.
Hello Didodi,

I am sorry you can not sleep, that is a horrid feeling. I am presuming given that you have asked and have had many questions answered here that you are over 18, asking about a 14 year old, thus allowed to post on this site.

What can help people sleep at times is a glass of hot milk; heating the milk helps release the tryptophan in it, which can help cause sleepiness.

Guided imagery or meditation can also help soothe, calm, and relax....the old adage about counting sheep is not just pulling wool over our eyes.

Hot baths are also said to be helpful because the body is regulated by temperature; a higher temperature may help induce sleep.

Melatonin is also a sleep aid. It is available over the counter, but please before taking any OTC medication, discuss it with your physician or health care provider to make sure it is OK for you given your provider knows your medical history far better than I.

More information on getting a nights rest is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-126534/Top-tips-better-sleep.html

I hope I was able to help...and sweet dreams,
Sincerely,
Susan