Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

12 month baby fell and hit his head. He has a big bump on

12 month baby fell and hit his head. He has a big bump on the back of his head. Has stopped crying. No vomitting. Can he take a nap?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I am so sorry to hear of your childs bump. I would like to try and help you but I need some additional information. How long ago did this happen? After he fell, did he seem dazed or confused? Did he lose consciousness at all? Is he acting in any way shape or form out of the ordinary? Does he seem less coordinated? Is this his usual time to take a nap or is he seeming excessively sleepy?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It happened about 45 min ago which is his usual nap time. He's very sleepy, other than that he's himself. He didn't lose consciousness. Wasn't dazed or confused. Just very angry. :)
Hello JACustomer,

I hope I can help you here; please understand that online all I can do is give my best educated guess based on what you wrote; thank you very much for that additional information

Could your baby have a concussion? There are several degrees of concussion, from a grade 1 which is minor, requiring little to no treatment, to a grade 3 which needs urgent medical attention. Signs and symptoms that may indicate something is not quite right and may need further intervention (a concussion) would be a prolonged headache, nausea, vomiting (prolonged), impaired balance, memory loss, ringing in the ears, loss of taste or smell, excessive sleepiness,(bolded due to your sons sleep) blood or fluid draining from the ears or nose. Not all of these things have to be present.

A 12 month old child can not tell us if he is experiencing any of these things, so we need to look to how he acts. If he is extra cranky, it could be because he is nauseous or dizzy and has no words to state so. You say this is not the case. If he is extra sleepy, that to is a sign of a concussion that should be investigated...especially as he cant tell us if he is having other symptoms. If he is acting at all "off"...extra cranky, not coordinated, or appears to have vision problems, thats another piece of evidence to have him seen. As for his sleep now, yes, let him sleep, but do make sure he can be woken. And I also would give your childs pediatrician a call and run the situation by him or her; his doctor knows him better than I.

On line, I very much would prefer to err, if I do err, on the side of caution and say please have him seen for safety's sake.

Here is more information regarding concussions: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/concussion/DS00320

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Hello JACustomer,

I am writing to check on your little one...how is he doing? Hope all is well with you and with him,

Sincerely,
Susan